Delay Wiper Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
first post here, (i see this thread is a year old too)
I am usually on 67-72truckforums. I too have been wanting pulse wipers to work on my 1987 (factory pulse optioned truck) for years. I don't drive it much in the rain, but when I do, delay is quite nice... it quit working years ago. I came across detroit muscle wiper module solution, and found that they use a modern wiper motor, 2015 corvette, their harness, their module and their adapter bracket ... I want ready to spend that much, being that I am extremely crafty when it comes to fabrication and wiring.

There's several things I don't like about their solution:
its not for 84+ with column wiper switch
doesn't use factory wiring which requires an additional hole in the firewall

Anyway, I decided to buy a wiper motor from rockauto. Found the part number for the wiper motor conector and gm wants over 100$ for a pigtail lol... did some research, got the connector, terminals and seals for around 20$... Prefer no mumbo jumbo splices when its not necessary... anyway.. bought an ArduinoUno years ago to play with, barly now how to use it, so learned a lot and got myself a working wiper delay program.

Once I got the program to work, I bought a GMT400 style wiper switch, looks identical to the stock c-10 but only has 3 wires and has the modern detents between the 5 delay speeds (which is why I bought it in the first place. Did more debugging, more programming and got it to work with the corvette wiper motor... (wired like OEM)

Now that I had 2 working programs, with both switch's, I figured why not use the factory wiper motor? And then made the "relay harness" work with the factory wiper!

And then learned how to use another program, Eagle so I can make a PCB... about 2 weeks later, 2nd version:

You must be registered for see images attach

designed so the module goes off to one side under dash, the relay module goes off to the other side, and the connections are OE on the column with no bulk...

video link hosted on my website:
gmt400 Switch, c-10 wiper motor test

link my thread on the project on the other forum :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow, you're telling me that there's people who LIKE the detents in the delay speeds? Lol. Personally, I don't care for them at all. Guess I'm a weirdo.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The factory maintenance book indicates the reset circuit is in the wiper motor. So if your wipers won't go all the way down when you turn them off it's in the wiper motor circuitry inside. I have the same problem when I turn mine off. And like a dummy I get ready to turn the wipers off and then try to time it so that when they get all the way down I'll try and catch it the second before they start back up the windshield again. It might take two or three times before I get it right. Then sometimes, after I give up trying to time it just right I say "screw it" and leave them just above being all the way down, I'll be driving along and they will suddenly go all the way down and stay. It's crazy.
I've wanted to put a delay in my truck for many years but I'll need to rebuild the wiper motor as well, after all mine is the factory original wiper motor. And that just seems to much trouble right now. They are working. It would be different if they weren't. I might be motivated to put the whole nine yards in if there was a real problem.