Deadening Actual Fenders, Bed Panels, Doors and such????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Anyone ever put deadener (Spray or Applied Mat, Roll or cut piece) on anything aside from the cab and under the door panels ?

My new bedsides are due to show up between Friday.
It'll probably be a few weeks before I can get them on.
I was wondering if anyone had deadened panels like these with Spray or mat???

I love the sound of a panel that has a sold Thunk or Thud as compared to the tinny, coffee can sound when you rap your knuckles or something on a fender, door or whatever....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just a few large squares of mat applied to the bedsides will make a big difference. No need for fancy sprays, imho.

Your panels will have the sound of quality and refinement. But some people may think your panels are full of bondo, lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Anyone ever put deadener (Spray or Applied Mat, Roll or cut piece) on anything aside from the cab and under the door panels ?

My new bedsides are due to show up between Friday.
It'll probably be a few weeks before I can get them on.

I love the sound of a panel that has a sold Thunk or Thud as compared to the tinny, coffee can sound when you rap your knuckles or something on a fender, door or whatever....
Ford installer a metal thing on the back of the cab in the center that, frankly, I dont know what it does, but Im told its a NVH thing. maybe it could be swapped as well to aid the mission you have.
"It's a harmonic dampener used to deaden vibrations in the cab by absorbing them"

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ford installer a metal thing on the back of the cab in the center that, frankly, I dont know what it does, but Im told its a NVH thing. maybe it could be swapped as well to aid the mission you have.
"It's a harmonic dampener used to deaden vibrations in the cab by absorbing them"

Manufacturers have done that here and there. Usually some type of weight mounted with an isolator or two. I'm not sure how much they actually do, especially the ones mounted to subframes, which in turn mount to the body with rubber mounts.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Manufacturers have done that here and there. Usually some type of weight mounted with an isolator or two. I'm not sure how much they actually do, especially the ones mounted to subframes, which in turn mount to the body with rubber mounts.
I looked it up a bit more, I dont think it would do much on a square since the rear panel is thicker than ford. The ford is tinny and you can tell its less compared to a square bodies solid panel. so I suppose it vibrated lol

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The bedsides are exposed from underneath so I would avoid mat that can trap moisture and dirt. I've seen people apply raptor liner or comparable. I don't think there would be a sound difference in the cab though.

I Line'xd some of the underside of my K5, along with the interior and would spray wd40 on it before offloading so mud would be easier to wash off. Not sure it made much of a difference with mud but sealed the interior nicely.

The aftermarket bedsides are thinner gauge and it might help when prepping for paint if they didn't resonate. On my Nova, the bodyshop applied dynamat on the underside of my roof as they said the roof was vibrating along with the air sanders and progress was slow and loud.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I haven't used any but there are some spray on sound dampening products that seem to get good reviews, I agree with @Bennyt that stick on mats could trap moisture. Most of the stick on butyl rubber sound insulation mats say not to install where they are exposed to moisture for that reason.

Lizard skin seems to be popular but a company called second skin audio seems to be less advertised but appears to have good product. Second skin has a spray on & one they refer to as "sludge" its a 2K that gets put down with a trowel or putty knife.

The sludge product seems like it would be good on the inside of bed panels and fenders.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Applying to bedsides, fenders, etc won't do anything for noise in cab. So other than making it sound more solid and possibly helping when bodyworking, I think it's probably wasted other than some chip/corrosion protection.

That being said. I used lizard skin on my son's truck and plan to use it on 2 more vehicles soon but it is expensive at $600-800 a vehicle.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
This worked perfectly on my truck inside the doors and anywhere on the interior I could get to, huge difference. And the price is right!

Attachments

• FBC4DFB5-14AC-40CA-880E-FD7FB8C76076.png
    FBC4DFB5-14AC-40CA-880E-FD7FB8C76076.png
    400.4 KB · Views: 68

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I used Raptor Liner under the cab and up the firewall when I did the drivetrain swap. When I pull the bed to clean/re-seam seal and bed line the bottom side I plan to spray more of the Raptor up as far into the bedsides as I can just to cut down on the tinny-ness of them

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
I used Raptor Liner under the cab and up the firewall when I did the drivetrain swap. When I pull the bed to clean/re-seam seal and bed line the bottom side I plan to spray more of the Raptor up as far into the bedsides as I can just to cut down on the tinny-ness of them

Thats exactly my thought. I don't know why, I just want the whole truck as deadened as possible.
I hate the tinny-ness of a knuckle wrap on the fender, shutting of a door, hood or tailgate. I want a thud, not a ring. Just my preference.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Agreed. Plus it'll just help with the harmonics/vibrations in general. My truck has a cammed 5.3 and pretty loud exhaust, so I get alot of resonance/noise coming from the bed going down the road/cruising on throttle

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Check this out on Amazon...it comes in different thicknesses. I bought one small box to test first for $38.00 in 50mil. The stuff is way dense and is amazing.

I may try a bunch of that for the cab floor and back wall, but I think inside the bedwalls and underside, panels really exposed to the weather, ill spray them.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I may try a bunch of that for the cab floor and back wall, but I think inside the bedwalls and underside, panels really exposed to the weather, ill spray them.
Agreed...you dont want to expose this to weather because its applied with a sticky backing. Inside though....its outstanding. Rhino lining is what I use.

Best of luck!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS