Davbell22602 search for a Squarebody Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
When learning to drive a manual trans at 15 1/2 in my dad's 92 Sierra Ext Cab (with a 350) we went to the jr high parking lot. I got the cops called on me cuz they thought it was someone hot rodding rather than some kid trying to learn how to drive a stick shift! :) Once you learn you never forget that is for sure and it will be something I force my kids to learn how to do as well when they get older!! :deal:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I was about the same age, around 15 or 16 and was in the truck in my sig, but it had a straight 6 at the time and was converted to floor shift 3 spd. I greenhorned twice(stalled it) after that I was fine, except for once I was with my buddy across from the garage in a parking lot, parked perfect, forgot it was stick, had my foot on the clutch only, and went to shut it off, realized it had rolled back about 8 foot, had to pull back in the spot lol.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This thread seems hi-jacked so I am going to go with the flow here, lol. I was 15 and my first lesson was in my Dad's '69 GMC C-20. 350/4 spd manual with a loaded mechanics Utility bed on the back. :waytogo:

He only let me clutch it in granny gear though with no gas but it was on a Jeep trail and it was one of the best memories of my life with him , lol. :High 5:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
**** Dave, I'll teach ya! I'm being dead serious man, if you want to learn, I can help you. Especially if you have a manual truck that you can learn in. If not my Honda is a manual and I could teach my seven year old how to drive that damn thing. We can get together on weekends, theres about three hundred empty parking lots to choose from....

Let me know when? I was told its easier to learn off of a small cause the pedals are easier to press vs the pedals on truck.

The truck isnt on the road. Still need to get the clutch tool and swap motors.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
You know what that means then don't you? First we fix the truck then we teach you how to drive it! Nothing like barbecueing a clutch it took you all weekend to get installed right? LOL PM me and we'll work something out man, I don't know if I can swing it this weekend or not, maybe Sunday. I'll have you motoring the Honda in an afternoon I can gaurantee it. Its got a hydraulic clutch that anyone with functioning legs can push in LOL And to keep the stories rolling, my Dad taught me how to drive stick in a 1930 Model A Tudor sedan thats been in our family since it was new. They are really easy cars to drive once you get the hang of double clutching, especially when down-shifting!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You know what that means then don't you? First we fix the truck then we teach you how to drive it! Nothing like barbecueing a clutch it took you all weekend to get installed right? LOL PM me and we'll work something out man, I don't know if I can swing it this weekend or not, maybe Sunday. I'll have you motoring the Honda in an afternoon I can gaurantee it. Its got a hydraulic clutch that anyone with functioning legs can push in LOL And to keep the stories rolling, my Dad taught me how to drive stick in a 1930 Model A Tudor sedan thats been in our family since it was new. They are really easy cars to drive once you get the hang of double clutching, especially when down-shifting!

Truck has hydraulic clutch too. I think the clutch is already barbecued but find that out when I pull the motor. Last summer I had the hardest part down when trying to teach myself on the at junkyard. I do know that I had to release the pedal about half way to get it move in first last summer.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Do a google search on "Corvette clutch smoke" sometime if you need a good laugh. This ********* tries to smoke the tires on a newish z06 and succeeds in completely destroying the clutch instead.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This thread seems hi-jacked so I am going to go with the flow here, lol. I was 15 and my first lesson was in my Dad's '69 GMC C-20. 350/4 spd manual with a loaded mechanics Utility bed on the back. :waytogo:

He only let me clutch it in granny gear though with no gas but it was on a Jeep trail and it was one of the best memories of my life with him , lol. :High 5:

I wouldn't call it a hijacked thread. It still pertaining to Daves search for a truck and if he will getting a manual trans truck or not. In the event it was a build or tech thread, I do see your point, and I'd consider moving some of the content, but It appears all good for this this thread. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Truck has hydraulic clutch too. I think the clutch is already barbecued but find that out when I pull the motor. Last summer I had the hardest part down when trying to teach myself on the at junkyard. I do know that I had to release the pedal about half way to get it move in first last summer.

Its all the same no matter little car, big truck, hydro or linkage clutch. Big whoop, if its manual truck you just have to push harder on the pedal, no biggie. About the same differance as power brakes and non power brakes. Honestly, I like I a Z bar linkage clutch better. To me, you seem to be able to feel the clutch better, and when speed shifting, if you do it to quick, like i"ve been know to do, you can get air trapped in the line. The hydro clutch doesn't return quite as quick IMO where as manual clutch, is what it is and you can feel all of it. Don't let the clutch type scare you off is what I'm saying., there are pros and cons to both, and you'll get used to either one or either type in nothing flat.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wouldn't call it a hijacked thread. It still pertaining to Daves search for a truck and if he will getting a manual trans truck or not. In the event it was a build or tech thread, I do see your point, and I'd consider moving some of the content, but It appears all good for this this thread. :)

:).

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Back on the 78 3 speed column shift 4x4. He said also it wont run cause it has no spark.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
He said it was bad distributor.

So replace the distributor... IF you get it. Speaking of which, have you actually made a decision as to whether or not you are going to entertain submitting an offer on this truck? It's been a week now since you've started this thread and it seems to me like you are still hemming and hawing on pulling the trigger on the purchase.

It's a $600 complete truck that needs restoration Dave. It is what it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So replace the distributor... IF you get it. Speaking of which, have you actually made a decision as to whether or not you are going to entertain submitting an offer on this truck? It's been a week now since you've started this thread and it seems to me like you are still hemming and hawing on pulling the trigger on the purchase.

It's a $600 complete truck that needs restoration Dave. It is what it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

I would have to part the gmt400 2wd 3/4ton to get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns