Davbell22602 search for a Squarebody Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yea I know but I know nothing about driving a column shift though.

So what? If you can drive a floor shifter, you will learn how to drive a column shifter real quick. Aint nothin to it.

I like both trucks too, but I'd go for the 4x4.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Face it guys, Dave just wants an automatic.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
WWWWHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT??????????????

:O

somebody gonna get theys man card yanked if that's the case LOL.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
3 on the tree aint bad, just imagine an H-pattern upright on the column but with a 3-speed + reverse. For the life of me I cant remember the position of reverse but it would only take driving it once to figure it out. It always gave me a sense of nostalgia driving that old truck with 3 on the tree, I really miss it.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
How did you know I cant drive a manual transmission?

Yea I know but I know nothing about driving a column shift though.

A manual shift is just that. It doesn't matter if the shifter is on the floor or on the column, they operate by the driver selecting the gear. Ever hear the quote, "It's the same thing, only different"? That line pretty much sums it up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:whymewhyme:

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Tell you what Dave, If I can weasel the guy on Leetown Rd into selling me his Ford Econoline Van with a three on the tree, I'll teach ya how to drive stick in it. Its so easy a caveman could do it....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wait??? Isn't the 90 3/4 ton a manual trans? You've never driven that one? Above is correct. If you know how to drive a manual and use a clutch, it doesn't matter where the shifter is as long as you can find the gears which a 3 speed on the column is as easy as it gets.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
My Caddy was a three on the tree and driving that thing was a real pleasure, you just can't beat the rifle bolt feel of a well executed shift with one of the old mechanical linkage shifters.
You must be registered for see images

Shot at 2009-03-10

Oops,, sorry for the thread-jack

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Wait??? Isn't the 90 3/4 ton a manual trans? You've never driven that one? Above is correct. If you know how to drive a manual and use a clutch, it doesn't matter where the shifter is as long as you can find the gears which a 3 speed on the column is as easy as it gets.

Yep. The 90 is manual also. Cant drive it either. Dad was gonna teach me before he passed but never happened. Might get rid of it now.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Man oh man, I never was one to do something like that. Just because I cant do something now, or don't know how, doesn't mean I can't learn or teach myself how. You should at least give it a try man. Watch some youtube vids on it or somethin. You'd be amazed what you might be able to do if you just give yourself the chance. Sorry to hear about your pop passing before you got a chance to learn, too. My mom actually taught me, she used to drag race in her younger years, so we would get out on a dirt road and cruise along till I got the hang of it. Riding motorcycles and 4 wheelers was also good experience for learning all the tricks to a standard.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Man oh man, I never was one to do something like that. Just because I cant do something now, or don't know how, doesn't mean I can't learn or teach myself how. You should at least give it a try man. Watch some youtube vids on it or somethin. You'd be amazed what you might be able to do if you just give yourself the chance. Sorry to hear about your pop passing before you got a chance to learn, too. My mom actually taught me, she used to drag race in her younger years, so we would get out on a dirt road and cruise along till I got the hang of it. Riding motorcycles and 4 wheelers was also good experience for learning all the tricks to a standard.

I thought about getting one of those clutch gauge kits that lights up to tell when to change gears. But havent found one yet.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Hey Dave,
Any friends around you that have an older 4X4 V8 Jeep? easiest thing you can learn to drive a straight shift in. I learned in my 72 c-10 that had a 3 on the tree but I have helped several people learn in a buddies jeep. They are typically geared low and don't stall very easy.:High 5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek