Davbell22602 search for a Squarebody Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And that GMT400 3/4 ton has been sitting for how many years and you haven't yet got it running either. So did you lose interest in it or what? Sounds to me like the GMT 400 is butcher job anyway with the steering colums situation. Part the damn 3/4 ton and be done. Get you an unmolested square that parts are cheap, plentiful, very basic without electronics and you are more likley to actually get it running. No spark could be minor as a new ignition module. You can buy a new non electronic dizzy with new cap, new rotor, new ignition module, new coil, for about $50 on eBay. Drop it in and go. That takes all the guess work out of why no spark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
And that GMT400 3/4 ton has been sitting for how many years and you haven't yet got it running either. So did you lose interest in it or what? Sounds to me like the GMT 400 is butcher job anyway with the steering colums situation. Part the damn 3/4 ton and be done. Get you an unmolested square that parts are cheap, plentiful, very basic without electronics and you are more likley to actually get it running. No spark could be minor as a new ignition module. You can buy a new non electronic dizzy with new cap, new rotor, new ignition module, new coil, for about $50 on eBay. Drop it in and go. That takes all the guess work out of why no spark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I had guy offer me 900 cash for it plus spare engine and parts that came out of the 88 blue C1500. I told him cheapest cash price was $1000 w/the extra parts/engine or would trade him even for square project truck. He said my 3/4 ton needed alot of work like new paint job and paying someone to swap engines. He said gonna talk to his dad to what he do with it and see what his dad to trade for it. He his dad some old trucks sitting around.

No, I didnt lose interest in the gmt400 truck. I would part with in trade for square project truck. The truck was last on the main roads in 2006 when PO had it before he let someone use it and ran with no oil in it. Thats why there's 3 or more rods knocks in that 96 vortec block. Plus theres 70 dollar timing set I had to replace just get thing to stay running.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
When a guy starts talking he will have to pay someone to paint a 90 model, and pay someone to swap a motor, that's when you tell him to lick your sack. You don't buy a 20 year old vehicle to pay people to do ****. You buy a 20yo vehicle to be a beater or scrapper truck or restoration project. Sounds to me that idiot just need to get a showroom new truck. :flipthebird:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You know what really has my curiosity up on this square you are talking about, is how the Tcase mated to the trans? 3 speed trans and a tcase??? I am wondering if its not divorced? Makes me wonder if its possible to have a Muncie M21 or M22 and a Tcase. :drool:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
When a guy starts talking he will have to pay someone to paint a 90 model, and pay someone to swap a motor, that's when you tell him to lick your sack. You don't buy a 20 year old vehicle to pay people to do ****. You buy a 20yo vehicle to be a beater or scrapper truck or restoration project. Sounds to me that idiot just need to get a showroom new truck. :flipthebird:

The reason I still have the gmt-400 is because its 3/4 ton and 8 lug wheels. There not cheap to come by used or new. If it was a half ton it be gone long time ago when scrap was up at $13.00 per 100 pounds 3 years ago.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You know what really has my curiosity up on this square you are talking about, is how the Tcase mated to the trans? 3 speed trans and a tcase??? I am wondering if its not divorced? Makes me wonder if its possible to have a Muncie M21 or M22 and a Tcase. :drool:

I'm not too sure on the whole thing. The thing looks like its been sitting for years with black dirt all over it especially on the hood. I might keep looking and see something better turns up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As long as its not the integral head I6 I'd rock that one. The Chevy I6 is in indestrctable motor just so long as its not the integral head. Even if it is integral head, you can still srap the head, and get you an older head, intake and exhaust and then that problem is elimintated. But, in all honesty, a 350 is much more plentiful, and much cheaper to build. A 2 piece rear main Chev 350, 69-87 is cheapest motor on the planet to build. I think its 87 that is the cut off point, not positive, but anyway, you get the point. If you get this 250 6 cyl, its easily conveterd to 350 too. Just that you won't have a core motor to build, and you'll need to get a bigger radiator and differant fan shroud is all. Mounts are all the same, the wiring harness is easily adapted and all. I've done many. Even the flywheel or flexplate will interchange. If this 6 cyl is a 292, I'd rock it. Long stroke motor with mega torque. It won't have the hp of a 350, but I bets its real close on the torque. 292 6cyl is a stump puller just like the Ford 6 cyl 300.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hmm, now I'm curious what tranny/t-case it is too. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a communication error and it's actually a regular 'ol 3 speed with granny.

And to me, the I6 is a selling point. You just don't find them much anymore and you REALLY have to try to kill them. If you can kill one, then you're very talented.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The reason I still have the gmt-400 is because its 3/4 ton and 8 lug wheels. There not cheap to come by used or new. If it was a half ton it be gone long time ago when scrap was up at $13.00 per 100 pounds 3 years ago.

Your not too awful far from here. 3/4 ton ain't nothing special around here at all, they are usually the same price as a half ton.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hmm, now I'm curious what tranny/t-case it is too. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a communication error and it's actually a regular 'ol 3 speed with granny.

And to me, the I6 is a selling point. You just don't find them much anymore and you REALLY have to try to kill them. If you can kill one, then you're very talented.

I thought the same thing, but he said 3 on the column. That's telling me its not a top loader transmission, or the SM465. So if that Tcase can hook to a Saginaw 3 speed, It makes me wonder if it won't be adapted to a Muncie M21 or M22. Gimme M21 or M22 with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and I can assure anyone, I won't be outdone in shifting speed, even against an automatic, and I'll never miss a shift if the shifter arms, and shifter stop is adjusted properly with good shift lever bushings. I flat love'm !!! That's what I had in the 64 GMC for years until I finally broke the counteshaft in the M21 getting a mean 2nd gear. It was often I got the truck sideways hitting 2nd gear with the 4.56 posi D60 rear end in it.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Likley a fully synchronized Saginaw 3 speed.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Get it Dave, you know you want to.

That's what that devil looking dude that sits on Dave's shoulder says when he sees his wife getting out of the shower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns