Dash pad repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
1979, 1983
Truck Model
k25, c20
Engine Size
350 nv3500, 6.2TD th400
If you a cheapa$$ (or thrifty as I like to call it) like myself you'd rather spend 300 bucks on something worth 300 bucks and not a dash pad. I came up with a way to make your own and only have about 4 hours into it. My Initial budget was $20 and I didn't even spend that much! Here's how I did it

Step 1 - remove old dash pad

Step 2- cut off existing vinyl and foam (or burn it off with an acetylene torch like I did) and get down to the metal surface

Step 3- buy a can of spray foam and spray a small layer of foam over the metal. Getting the thin pieces around the defrosting vents is tricky. Let the foam dry

Step 4- once dry cut the foam into desires shape or use an airboard with 80 grit to cut and shape it. Once again this is very tricky and also REALLY MESSY!!

Step 5- get a piece of vinyl and cut and sew it to fit. Yes it is a pain in the balls but its doable

Step 6- once you get it fitting the way you like take spray adhesive and coat the dash then stretch the homemade cover over top

Step7- wrap the ends of the new vinyl up underneath the dash and some how fasten them, i used short panhead sepf taps. But be creative and do itthe way you want

Step 8- install new pad and spend the 280 bucks you got left on somethin else

Ill have a pic up tomorrow

muddyman184

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
90 AND 82
Truck Model
K5,K20
Engine Size
Cant wait to see this

jt1200r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3/th400/3.08
i guess hes still waiting for the glue to dry

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I'm really want to try this myself. Pics on how you screwed the cover onto the pad would be helpful. How much overlap on the sides and how you sewed it up would be helpful. Thanks

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think a hand stitched dash cover would be great.I would like to see pics, too.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I'm happy to see someone else experimenting with the dash pad. I did something along these lines with mine a couple weeks ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
so doing this

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you a cheapa$$ (or thrifty as I like to call it) like myself you'd rather spend 300 bucks on something worth 300 bucks and not a dash pad. I came up with a way to make your own and only have about 4 hours into it. My Initial budget was $20 and I didn't even spend that much! Here's how I did it

Step 1 - remove old dash pad

Step 2- cut off existing vinyl and foam (or burn it off with an acetylene torch like I did) and get down to the metal surface

Step 3- buy a can of spray foam and spray a small layer of foam over the metal. Getting the thin pieces around the defrosting vents is tricky. Let the foam dry

Step 4- once dry cut the foam into desires shape or use an airboard with 80 grit to cut and shape it. Once again this is very tricky and also REALLY MESSY!!

Step 5- get a piece of vinyl and cut and sew it to fit. Yes it is a pain in the balls but its doable

Step 6- once you get it fitting the way you like take spray adhesive and coat the dash then stretch the homemade cover over top

Step7- wrap the ends of the new vinyl up underneath the dash and some how fasten them, i used short panhead sepf taps. But be creative and do itthe way you want

Step 8- install new pad and spend the 280 bucks you got left on somethin else

Ill have a pic up tomorrow

We don't pull no punches around here. Cheapass works just fine. Of course that depends one's definition of Cheapass. I won't skimp quality to get by cheap. But this certainly looks well enough to be much cheaper than the alternative. The other advantage is customizable options. This is great.

Repuatation Given !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm happy to see someone else experimenting with the dash pad. I did something along these lines with mine a couple weeks ago.

Nice Addition to this thread. Is your instruction about the same??? Anything different or variable you might add?

Thanks for the Pics. Reputation Given here too. So your GMSB Cherry got popped !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Self tapping pan head screws, got my attention. :D

adriner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
1979, 1983
Truck Model
k25, c20
Engine Size
350 nv3500, 6.2TD th400
It's by no means perfect but I'm happy with how she turned out. You can see some loose edges but that can be tucked under during inylstallation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner