Cutting Sheet Metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Would that be taking my life in my hands using a table saw, lol!!!???

I wouldnt be scared to use the table saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade.

Hell I use a skil saw to cut tin all the time, secret to doing that is simply turning the blade around backwards. Probably be a little to jagged of an edge for what your wanting using that method though.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:eek:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wouldnt be scared to use the table saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade.

Hell I use a skil saw to cut tin all the time, secret to doing that is simply turning the blade around backwards. Probably be a little to jagged of an edge for what your wanting using that method though.

I can clamp a couple 2x4's next to each other over the cut and run the sawzaw down the middle of them too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
No...the :eek: was to 89sub's size 14 boot comment and I didn't quote it :D

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
No...the :eek: was to 89sub's size 14 boot comment and I didn't quote it :D

oh GOOD GOD I missed that comment, Ide hate to have to buy your boots, ya big ole burly basterds lol :Moon:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sawzall or jigsaw would make a wavy jagged edge, abrasive blades are the way to go. As for skil saw/table saw, I'm not so crazy about those ideas. Table saw spins back towards you, if it bound up at all it would kick the metal right back at you (had this happen with a piece of oak once and it was a lot worse than being gut punched, metal would go right through you). The skill saw would be ok as long as it dont bind, or you're only cutting an inch off the edge. If it was very wide scrap coming off by the time you get to the end and the scrap is dropping off, your end of the cut might be bent or not on the line. I still say the angle grinder might be the best way to control it, with the wheel cutting downward, and maybe a board underneath.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Sawzall or jigsaw would make a wavy jagged edge, abrasive blades are the way to go. As for skil saw/table saw, I'm not so crazy about those ideas. Table saw spins back towards you, if it bound up at all it would kick the metal right back at you (had this happen with a piece of oak once and it was a lot worse than being gut punched, metal would go right through you). The skill saw would be ok as long as it dont bind, or you're only cutting an inch off the edge. If it was very wide scrap coming off by the time you get to the end and the scrap is dropping off, your end of the cut might be bent or not on the line. I still say the angle grinder might be the best way to control it, with the wheel cutting downward, and maybe a board underneath.

Valid points, If you put an abrasive blade on the table saw the reverse roation would not be an issue, it is the teeth that make them catch and bind. I do know what your saying kick back suck balls. My Grandpa lost a thumb to one.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Use a chainsaw to cut it.

I swear to god dave, Everyone is trying to give the guy usefull ideas, EXCEPT you your just being a ***** and building your post count :flipthebird::shitsweak:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hahahahahahah. I got a hold of Mama's butterknife David, that should make a clean cut. :roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You know, I do have a gas powered cut off saw, Takes a 14" blade, I could use that. :hmm:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I swear to god dave, Everyone is trying to give the guy usefull ideas, EXCEPT you your just being a ***** and building your post count :flipthebird::shitsweak:

Well, to be fair i gave him a couple if valid options but then started talking about teeth and pocket knives :lol:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can clamp a couple 2x4's next to each other over the cut and run the sawzaw down the middle of them too.

That might work if you sandwich the sheet metal with the 2x4's, then cut off the excess metal left hanging out.

Without air tools, the best way is going to be a cut-off wheel in a grinder or some electric sheers meant for sheet metal.

One of these years I'm going to buy a sheet metal brake. And an English wheel too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB