Cutting Sheet Metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How do you cut a long piece of sheet metal in a very straight line? Can it be scored and snapped somehow? Or put in a home made jig?

I have regular cutting shears, just wondering if there was another way, or home brewed trick.

I need to cut those wheel arch panels. They are about 3 feet long, and I want to remove about 4 or 5 inches of the top of them. And I hate having a ****** looking edge.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I clamp a piece of 3/4" thick sheeting board to the metal and use it as a straight edge for my 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Works better than a jigsaw or sawzall. When I was doing aluminum fascia for houses we would use a 10 or 12' metal brake, clamp it down on your marks and score it with a razor knife several times, then work the brake lever, bend the metal back and forth several times till it breaks. That was with aluminum though, not sure how well that would work with steel. If you had access to a metal shear would be the best way but it just all depends on how long of a cut you need to make. If you're cutting on your new body panels and they're kind of long, clamping the board on and using the angle grinder might be the best/simplest/fastest way.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I clamp a piece of 3/4" thick sheeting board to the metal and use it as a straight edge for my 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Works better than a jigsaw or sawzall. When I was doing aluminum fascia for houses we would use a 10 or 12' metal brake, clamp it down on your marks and score it with a razor knife several times, then work the brake lever, bend the metal back and forth several times till it breaks. That was with aluminum though, not sure how well that would work with steel. If you had access to a metal shear would be the best way but it just all depends on how long of a cut you need to make. If you're cutting on your new body panels and they're kind of long, clamping the board on and using the angle grinder might be the best/simplest/fastest way.
So make a guide basically to clamp onto the metal, I got ya. I'll have to pick some cut off wheels up for the grinder.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Can ya borrow a cutting torch for the straight cuts and plasma cutter for the curved cuts? Saw saw might work too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
C4 took the words off my keyboard :waytogo:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
How do you cut a long piece of sheet metal in a very straight line? Can it be scored and snapped somehow? Or put in a home made jig?

I have regular cutting shears, just wondering if there was another way, or home brewed trick.

I need to cut those wheel arch panels. They are about 3 feet long, and I want to remove about 4 or 5 inches of the top of them. And I hate having a ****** looking edge. QUOTE]

Can ya borrow a cutting torch for the straight cuts and plasma cutter for the curved cuts? Saw saw might work too.

Dave might wanna go re read the part in RED

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

I need to cut those wheel arch panels. They are about 3 feet long, and I want to remove about 4 or 5 inches of the top of them. And I hate having a ****** looking edge. QUOTE]

Dave might wanna go re read the part in RED

Read it. He can use grinding stone on drill to clean up those edges.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
How about a pocket knife? :shrug:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don;t use air tools. Anybody ever thro a metal cutting blade on a table saw?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I don;t use air tools. Anybody ever thro a metal cutting blade on a table saw?

I thought about something similar, metal cutting blade on a skil saw. Probably work just fine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I thought about something similar, metal cutting blade on a skil saw. Probably work just fine.
Would that be taking my life in my hands using a table saw, lol!!!???

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size