Curious what people are running for exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Kleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
I think crossovers really help quiet an engine down without adding restrictions. I included a few angles so you can get an idea of how I was able to piece mine together. I used Borla proXS mufflers and Hedman Black Maxx ceramic truck headers. All pipe from collector back is 2-1/2”.

The system is fairly quiet at idle and part throttle, but gets louder at WOT. My spare wouldn’t fit under the bed in the stock location, so I utilized that area for the mufflers. If you have a tire that fits under there, you’d need to get a bit more creative with muffler placement.
You must be registered for see images attach

I do like that, thanks!

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
My 76 has had a few different setups over the few years I have had it.
First a glasspack with stock catalytic converter
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Then just the catalytic converter
Then ditched the catalytic converter and put a 2.5 inch glass pack right off the Y pipe
Then changed it to exit from the side and not underneath (helped some droning issues)
Then I had pulled the engine out and did a little bit of a hop up on it, so I put a set of used headers on it and 2.25 duals into 18 inch glasspacks and then a 90 bend out the side in front of the axle
This wasn't to its full loudness, it shifted too early to build some revs up and wasn't into the rear barrels at all

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Do the tips deepen it?
As far as I could tell they changed the sound quite a bit. I ran without tips for a week or two, then when I put the tips on there was instant noticeable change.

It definitely deepens it but not crazy. Makes it sound a little more “echoey” in a sense. I went with the 5 inch tips because I like bigger exhaust tips, and figured it wouldn’t be too obnoxious looking since I’m lifted

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ramhorns, 2-1\2 inch pipe, h-pipe, flowmaster super 10’s, 5 inch tips. The h-pipe definitely quiets it down quite a bit, so I would recommend an H or X pipe will definitely clean up the sound and mellow it out, it’s not all (popcorn) sounding. Exit before the rear tires on a suburban definitely drones in the cab, and the super 10’s are obnoxious. Super 44’s would be more quiet but still sound good.

I think the super 10’s would be great exiting further back. I also have no carpet or sound deadner, I expect it to be much better after I get that installed.

I like in between a 90 degree and 45 degree bend. I also recommend some band clamps on the H-pipe instead of welding, in case you have to pull the trans out.

NH would never let me get away with having my exhaust exit before the rear wheels on the burb since it's not "behind the passenger compartment" but I really wish I could, if it was a pickup I'd be fine. Live free or die my ass, I moved up here from ******* Connecticut, a super uptight liberal police state but still has no inspections. I thought I was getting away from all that crap until I tried to register a vehicle... I had a similar setup to yours on a few of my vehicles (or less, my 401 nailhead buick just had a thrush glasspack c-clamped onto the collector) and I loved it. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the 5" tips, but otherwise that's a damn good setup.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
NH would never let me get away with having my exhaust exit before the rear wheels on the burb since it's not "behind the passenger compartment" but I really wish I could, if it was a pickup I'd be fine. Live free or die my ass, I moved up here from ******* Connecticut, a super uptight liberal police state but still has no inspections. I thought I was getting away from all that crap until I tried to register a vehicle... I had a similar setup to yours on a few of my vehicles (or less, my 401 nailhead buick just had a thrush glasspack c-clamped onto the collector) and I loved it. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the 5" tips, but otherwise that's a damn good setup.
I figured most people wouldn’t like the 5 inch tips. I’d just like to say this is the biggest tip I’ll ever go with lol I’m not one of “those guys” haha. I was surprised by the H-pipe and how well it cleaned up the choppy popcorn sound, and did it on an unknown history, stock motor that burns oil lol

In ND we have nothing for inspections lol, and when you go to transfer a title or register a vehicle, they just ask how you got it home and that’s it lol. Granted everything I’ve owned has been older than 1998, so I don’t have as many hoops to jump through. But it’s still a breeze, on the west side of ND that is anyways.

The cops don’t really bother much either, I’ve been pulled over for front window tint once and it was 2.5% lol, I ran it for 4 years though and only that one time I got pulled over.

I’ve never had an issue with exhaust either. There’s a lot of kids in my town with their straight piped 90’s 1/2 tons Chevys and fords, and civics and other beater cars. Can’t forget all the damn motorcycles too, loud ass cars all the time no problems.

Jeff Hudak

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i changed out a somewhat stock true dual exhaust, to flowmaster super 44s, still true dual, gained 17hp from the mufflers

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I just bought exhaust for mine, waiting for the collectors to come in to make it happen.

I've got flowtech 4wd headers, they tuck tight to the floor and not hang down like most, and they only have a 2.5 collector. I need new ones as they are small stock like 2.5 collector down to 2 inch pipes. I ordered 2.5 to 2.5 pipe, 2 pieces of 4 ft. long 2.5 od tubing, 2 butt joint band clamps and 2 lap joint band clamps as well as 2 jones full boar single chambers, like a flowmaster 10. I bought those band clamps for the reason of changing mufflers if I'm not feeling them. I want that flowmaster tin can hollow raspy sound like an original 40 has. I have tried several other cheaper mufflers and none sound the same. I've had the summit strip/strip chambered mufflers from years back, they were too quiet. I also had cherry bomb extreme's just like a flow10 short, they are lound and deep but not that same sound. We have them now on dad's truck. I also ran some thrush welded on my s10 with a v8, sounded good and deep and some rasp like to it, but not the exact same.

These ones were on sale for like 23 each so I can't complain I'll try em.

Next up might try summit or jegs chambered, or step right into flow 40's and be done.

I won't know how it sounds until i get it done, looks like it's going to be a couple weeks.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I just bought exhaust for mine, waiting for the collectors to come in to make it happen.

I've got flowtech 4wd headers, they tuck tight to the floor and not hang down like most, and they only have a 2.5 collector. I need new ones as they are small stock like 2.5 collector down to 2 inch pipes. I ordered 2.5 to 2.5 pipe, 2 pieces of 4 ft. long 2.5 od tubing, 2 butt joint band clamps and 2 lap joint band clamps as well as 2 jones full boar single chambers, like a flowmaster 10. I bought those band clamps for the reason of changing mufflers if I'm not feeling them. I want that flowmaster tin can hollow raspy sound like an original 40 has. I have tried several other cheaper mufflers and none sound the same. I've had the summit strip/strip chambered mufflers from years back, they were too quiet. I also had cherry bomb extreme's just like a flow10 short, they are lound and deep but not that same sound. We have them now on dad's truck. I also ran some thrush welded on my s10 with a v8, sounded good and deep and some rasp like to it, but not the exact same.

These ones were on sale for like 23 each so I can't complain I'll try em.

Next up might try summit or jegs chambered, or step right into flow 40's and be done.

I won't know how it sounds until i get it done, looks like it's going to be a couple weeks.
Get ready to drop dough on flowmasters. My super 44s were like $100 a piece. Ive got more money in the exhaust then i paid for the whole truck. No lie

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For my 82 C10 I started off with a 2-1/4" aluminized, mandrel-bent, full-length kit from Heartthrob. http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/ Got it 4 years ago for a little more than $200 shipped (!) from one of their distributors that was having a sale + free shipping from the Heartthrob facility.

I modified the down pipes to connect to headers. Ended up using long case Walker Dynomax Turbo mufflers.

My truck has a short bed, but the kit included intermediate pipes for a long bed, so I had lots of extra pipe and mandrel bends to play with. There's not a single "crimp bend" in my system.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Headers, 3" all the way, chambered mufflers , dumps behind rear tires. Nice low rumble. Electric cutouts whenever I need to get some dumda$$ or liberals attention.

How’re the quality of these. Do the clamps make it pop? When not cutout? I wanna do this too!

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How’re the quality of these. Do the clamps make it pop? When not cutout? I wanna do this too!
I read many reviews and bought Granatelli bolt on cutouts. They are great quality and if they stick you can shoot WD40 inside to loosen the carbon deposits. Happy with them so far. There is no leakage, no poping. The turnouts are adjustable.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Get ready to drop dough on flowmasters. My super 44s were like $100 a piece. Ive got more money in the exhaust then i paid for the whole truck. No lie

I'm already figuring that's going to happen best I saw on original 40's was like 70-80 per muffler. That's fine christmas is coming up LOL, Hey wife.....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
sorry double post

Latest posts