Curious what people are running for exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Kleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
So I’m debating what I want to do as far as the exhaust on my K20 with the 350. Wasn’t sure what kind of setups other people were running. I was kind of debating between duals or just getting a glass pack and keeping the single pipe. Don’t want the truck to be obnoxiously loud either so wondering how different set ups were noise wise. This is the best picture I have on my phone of the current (I’m assuming stock) setup. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
2-1/4" or 2-1/2" dual or single and exit out the back or behind the rear tires. Anything that exits under the truck or near the cab you will get noise. I would steer away from glass packs, they really don't muffle the sound, they are more likely enhance it. I would suggest a well built stock or performance muffler that is stainless steel.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive got headers, no cats, true duals with a pair of fowmaster super 44s dumping under the truck before the rear, all in 3"... its loud but i wouldnt have it any other way. I actually get complimented pretty often.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think crossovers really help quiet an engine down without adding restrictions. I included a few angles so you can get an idea of how I was able to piece mine together. I used Borla proXS mufflers and Hedman Black Maxx ceramic truck headers. All pipe from collector back is 2-1/2”.

The system is fairly quiet at idle and part throttle, but gets louder at WOT. My spare wouldn’t fit under the bed in the stock location, so I utilized that area for the mufflers. If you have a tire that fits under there, you’d need to get a bit more creative with muffler placement.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
3" single all the way back, catless, flowmaster 40 series, stock location side exit behind the rear wheel. Sounds good and mean, pretty loud but not horrendous inside the truck. The driver's side exit makes a fun experience out of driving fast with the windows down in the left lane next to jersey barriers... lol

It's basically as loud as I can get it and still get an inspection sticker without too much effort.

When this thrown together setup finally rusts so bad that I can no longer simply patch weld the holes I'm doing 2.5" true duals into flowmaster 40s straight out the back (if I can find a way to get the pipe past that big ass suburban gas tank). I probably got a year left, the bent pipe going over the axle is super thin and full of pin holes.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
So I’m debating what I want to do as far as the exhaust on my K20 with the 350. Wasn’t sure what kind of setups other people were running. I was kind of debating between duals or just getting a glass pack and keeping the single pipe. Don’t want the truck to be obnoxiously loud either so wondering how different set ups were noise wise. This is the best picture I have on my phone of the current (I’m assuming stock) setup. Thanks!

Mine was routed almost like yours, mine is a 2wd, but I got a glasspack to replace the muffle and added a short glasspack upstream as a resonator, and it freed up power and sounds cool. Was roughly $100 for the packs and to have them installed.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Ramhorns, 2-1\2 inch pipe, h-pipe, flowmaster super 10’s, 5 inch tips. The h-pipe definitely quiets it down quite a bit, so I would recommend an H or X pipe will definitely clean up the sound and mellow it out, it’s not all (popcorn) sounding. Exit before the rear tires on a suburban definitely drones in the cab, and the super 10’s are obnoxious. Super 44’s would be more quiet but still sound good.

I think the super 10’s would be great exiting further back. I also have no carpet or sound deadner, I expect it to be much better after I get that installed.

I like in between a 90 degree and 45 degree bend. I also recommend some band clamps on the H-pipe instead of welding, in case you have to pull the trans out.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ramhorns, 2-1\2 inch pipe, h-pipe, flowmaster super 10’s, 5 inch tips. The h-pipe definitely quiets it down quite a bit, so I would recommend an H or X pipe will definitely clean up the sound and mellow it out, it’s not all (popcorn) sounding. Exit before the rear tires on a suburban definitely drones in the cab, and the super 10’s are obnoxious. Super 44’s would be more quiet but still sound good.

I think the super 10’s would be great exiting further back. I also have no carpet or sound deadner, I expect it to be much better after I get that installed.

I like in between a 90 degree and 45 degree bend. I also recommend some band clamps on the H-pipe instead of welding, in case you have to pull the trans out.

Do the tips deepen it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes