Cracked vortech heads on a "new" engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would be telling them that they can pressure test it if you have already. Your not their R&D or support department!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I would be telling them that they can pressure test it if you have already. Your not their R&D or support department!

I mentioned that, but then I need to pay for shipping there with pre-paid return shipping. So more money just out of my pocket.

And even IF they find something then their policy is to either fix or replace the defective item. So I'd get a 3rd manifold. Why should I trust that? My 2nd manifold worked for 3 months then started the same thing. I just can't trust them at this point.

Just kinda hosed...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Damn that sucks. I always liked Edelbrock aftermarket components but all this is making me glad I went with a Weiand Stealth when I did the Vortec swap on mine. I cant say much about them either though I haven't got to drive the truck as much as you have to see if there's any real problems.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yeah- Edelbrock seems to suck now. If you look at my latest pictures you might notice a black spacer under the TBI. The fuel injection has been surging so bad it would only run for 6-7 seconds then stall. After months of them blaming every component on the truck I proved to them after the trucks sits for 10-15 minutes and the TBI would heat soak it would surge. I used a heat gun to pre-heat the TBI on a cold engine and it would do it everytime. (Only would heat it to 115 degrees, verified with a IR thermometer). They would "check into it" and then have ignored me for the past 3 weeks.
Once I put in that phenolic spacer it has run much better. But it is cold here and might have problems next summer. I'll deal with that then I guess. TBI only gets up to 72 degrees right now.

So- back to the intake manifold leak. Tired of spending $$$$$$$$$$$$ fixing everything I own lately so was trying to think of other ways to fix or at least lessen my issue. Today I bought a 7 psi radiator cap for the truck. No, not quite correct but out of options. Vehicles in the 60's used 7 psi caps, and before that they used 4 psi.
With less pressure I have dropped the boiling point by 27 degrees. I'm running a 180 degree thermostat and the truck consistently runs at about 175. Maybe less pressure will slow or stop the coolant seep in the manifold.
Wishful thinking maybe- but worth a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy