Cowl Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We knew this was going to be tight, but finding that a stock hood leaves no room for the large air cleaner we need for this build. We want to use an 8" tall element to let the 632 breathe, and when mocking up the stock hood, only have about 2" of room at the front of the air cleaner.

I am not a fan of the cowl hood look on a square, and even then can't find one that is a true cowl hood, they all are a false cowl with the standard hood frame underneath.

Does anyone make a true cowl, or is there an air cleaner option that allows for my limited space? I'm thinking like a modified cold air intake of sorts, but for a carb'd engine. Thanks

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
2" of room is plenty of room as long as your motor mounts are good. I'd roll on if you don't like cowls.

Fyi, that I'm aware, there are none on the market for these trucks that don't have the OE style underbracing. Ours (AMD) have the OE underbracing, but they have a 14" air cleaner opening IIRC

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Spectra makes an enclosed housing that has ducts which you run to the stock air inlet openings on the core support. It has a drop-down base. It might be worth looking into.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's a reason GM used a snorkel and ducted cool air from the core support. 632 eh? Let's see some pix.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There's a reason GM used a snorkel and ducted cool air from the core support. 632 eh? Let's see some pix.
I'll get some pics. In the meantime, I found the USA1 functional cowl hood, but trying to verify the opening measurements. If anyone has this and can measure for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Spectra makes an enclosed housing that has ducts which you run to the stock air inlet openings on the core support. It has a drop-down base. It might be worth looking into.
I'll check it out. But we were hoping to keep things as clean as possible in the engine bay.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 78 had a functional unit in it and I think it was from Harwood. For my other project I picked up one from summit that 2” functional. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/KPT-0851-038

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks - could you get me the following measurements: diameter of air cleaner opening, and the distance from the back edge of the hood to the center of the air cleaner opening?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'll get some pics. In the meantime, I found the USA1 functional cowl hood, but trying to verify the opening measurements. If anyone has this and can measure for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Sounds like a great project. I've got some modded hoods in my future as well.

FWIW, find out what USA1's ACTUAL ETA is on that hood. Everything else they sell as "in stock" is months-years in the waiting.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like a great project. I've got some modded hoods in my future as well.

FWIW, find out what USA1's ACTUAL ETA is on that hood. Everything else they sell as "in stock" is months-years in the waiting.
Well they won't call me back after 3 messages, so they aren't getting the business anyway! But good to know. Good customer service from Carolina Classic Trucks, appears all these functional cowl hoods are made by Key parts.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks - could you get me the following measurements: diameter of air cleaner opening, and the distance from the back edge of the hood to the center of the air cleaner opening?

Its currently in storage while I work up from the ground on my K10. I sold that Blazer tub to someone who took a real beating on something that someone hid all the rust on and passed off as a good unit.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well they won't call me back after 3 messages, so they aren't getting the business anyway! But good to know. Good customer service from Carolina Classic Trucks, appears all these functional cowl hoods are made by Key parts.
Carolina classic trucks, is that @bluex ?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I vote keep the GM hood and do a carb “Hat” plumbed for cold air from the front side of the core support.

Second opinion would be hack a hole in the hood for an engine mounted scoop to poke through.

ETA: here’s the cold air setup we built for dad’s car from scraps. There was very little clearance but we made it happen. Car runs much better since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef