correct 1 piece gasket to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
I have a 1982 SBC with the thick timing cover gasket and dipstick on the psg side. I cannot find a 1 piece gasket to do the job! I tried one of the Felpro that have two oil holes on the same gasket and there is NO way it will seal on the opposite side! any suggestions??

Thanks

Olnick

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Opposite side of the dipstick orrrr?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've installed a few of the FelPro gaskets that were the 1-piece type. They fit well.

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
ORRR: opposite side of the block. DRIVER SIDE It doesn't have a boss extending out to support the additional hole in the gasket. Any part nos. Would be very helpful

Thanks

Olnick

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What manufacturer and part # have you tried?

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Felpro os34510T This is the one with two dipstick holes and does NOT seal on the Dr side rail.
The felpro 1881 would work?? but is cut out for a stroked block removing 1/3 of the sealing surface, not good in my eye.

The one I just removed (Black silicone rubber) has "NPC1" "MN3981" cast into it. I installed it 5 years ago but never wrote down the mfg/part #. It has been leaking at the lower center of the timing cover the last couple of days the oil has been pouring out ? It is a GM full welded timing cover the bolts were NOT loose, the gasket looks like new??? There is a slight scuff mark on the pan that removed the paint where the gasket made contact! (Dr side of center.)

I would settle on another black gasket same as I now have if I can locate one

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1982 SBC with the thick timing cover gasket and dipstick on the psg side. I cannot find a 1 piece gasket to do the job! I tried one of the Felpro that have two oil holes on the same gasket and there is NO way it will seal on the opposite side! any suggestions??

Thanks

Olnick
I have an 80 truck...motor not exactly sure but think it's older?? Anyway I have a passenger dipstick. I just put in a few months back a felpro one piece gasket. It has two dipstick holes...one on each side of the block. You oil pan has a simple in the driver side to make up for no dipstick on that side. Fits fine, and no oil leaks other than from up top now, out if valve covers.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Felpro os34510T This is the one with two dipstick holes and does NOT seal on the Dr side rail.
The felpro 1881 would work?? but is cut out for a stroked block removing 1/3 of the sealing surface, not good in my eye.

The one I just removed (Black silicone rubber) has "NPC1" "MN3981" cast into it. I installed it 5 years ago but never wrote down the mfg/part #. It has been leaking at the lower center of the timing cover the last couple of days the oil has been pouring out ? It is a GM full welded timing cover the bolts were NOT loose, the gasket looks like new??? There is a slight scuff mark on the pan that removed the paint where the gasket made contact! (Dr side of center.)

I would settle on another black gasket same as I now have if I can locate one
Have you looked at Rock Auto useing your correct engine info

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Solution found! ! ! ! After three days I was able to finally fix the leak at the timing cover to pan joint! I was able to get a good part # for the 1 piece gasket with the one needed hole for the Psg side dipstick. Its an "Engine Tech" part # OC350-R this is only for the Right hand dipstick block!

My fix using the old Original (installed in 2016) engine tech gasket: I installed the pan without the gasket, However I added washers to replicate the thickness of the installed gasket. Mine measured .145 in.
With the pan installed, I was able to measure the distance from the front lower lip on the pan to the bottom of the timing cover sealing surface. Mine was .589 in. at the bottom most point. Minus the .145 in. spacers leaves .444 in.
The front THICK gasket measures .430 in. This is shy by .014 in. to be able to compress the gasket at all!
To remedy this I took a 2 1/2 in length of "China wall" gasket and tapered down both ends by 1/4 inch The thickness is around .125 in. I weather strip glued this piece onto the bottom of the timing cover sealing surface. I then installed the pan with the old gasket.
I then pressure test the crankcase at 4 PSI I block off the PCV and breather holes then use the dipstick tube to apply the air. I had ZERO leaks around the oil pan not even a slight whistle! THe Dr side valve cover was another thing though!! after a replacement there all is well again!
I hope this might help someone else in the future with a "can't fix it leak" in that area.
The real culprit ended up being the Aftermarket oil pan! The correct opening at the front of the pan is supposed to be 2 7/16 (2.4375) inches. Mine measured 2 1/2+ (2.509) for a difference of .0715 in. This was the reason for adding the amount that I Did (.125 in.)

Olnick

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl