Constant hot wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Glad you got the preset issue fixed.

............One other thing i noticed behind the ash tray there is a thicker yellow wire thats been cut and there is thicker black wire that has also been cut by the way its has been cut its obviously they where connected what would that be ???

Got pics of these cut wires?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
He said it was a decent radio that wouldn't keep the presets. I took that as meaning an aftermarket radio of decent quality. The stock radio wouldn't have had electronic presets. I don't think the digital Delco was available yet in '84 and it appears to be a low-option Burb anyway.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought he meant too. Otherwise he wouldn't even need a constant power supply.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hey Bucket i used the orange wire under the dash to yellow wire on the radio it worked my presets all worked . One more thing done . Thank You .

One other thing i noticed behind the ash tray there is a thicker yellow wire thats been cut and there is thicker black wire that has also been cut by the way its has been cut its obviously they where connected what would that be ???

Those are most likely the wires to the factory radio (YEL is the power and the BLK is the ground). There should be a gray wire with them or somewhere nearby. That would have been for the radio's backlighting - from the instrument lighting circuit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doug13

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Surbanban
Engine Size
350c.i.
I did not see a gray wire . But thats now saying there wasn't one . My suburban has been all hacked apart. But I'm making some progress thank you so much for your help.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey, if you run across a black wire with a yellow tracer between the ashtray and guage bezel it is NOT a ground.

In one of my jackass moments, I could not for the life of me get any continuity out of it with my meter no matter how many times I probed that damn thing. Eventually, I realized it was a piece of fiber optic to send light to the lighter. Live and learn.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Hey, if you run across a black wire with a yellow tracer between the ashtray and guage bezel it is NOT a ground.

In one of my jackass moments, I could not for the life of me get any continuity out of it with my meter no matter how many times I probed that damn thing. Eventually, I realized it was a piece of fiber optic to send light to the lighter. Live and learn.

DOH! Good to know, though.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990