Complete front end overhaul questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey folks,

So a 1984 C20 I recently bought needs ball joints, steering parts, wheel bearings and brakes. So I'm just going to completely overhaul everything. My end is that I've been out of the square game for major repairs about 6 years, and I don't know what's changed or could work better for parts. 6 years ago I overhauled my K10, and besides slapping brake pads in once since then, I don't know if better parts came out. I don't buy poor quality stuff, but I'm not working with a blank check either. So here's my parts list.

-Bearings and brakes-

-Timken bearings and races/dust seal.
-Ac Delco brake calipers, hoses.
-Ac Delco/Wagner/etc. rotor and hub.
-hawk brake pads

-chassis and steering-

-Moog for practically every moveable joint
-poly control arm bushings
-new hydroboost PS lines
-new coil springs
-assuming spindle and control arms can be reused

Am I on the right track with these brands? How strong are the stock spindles and control arms? Do they stand the rest of time, or are they weak links? While Moog control arms look like a good deal, I don't just want to waste my money if stockers are strong. I'm also considering a drop while I'm here, but if I do drop it, it'll be from replacement spindles. Are there stiffer/better quality springs out there that'll stiffen up the ride WITHOUT affecting the ride height if I choose to keep the stock height? If I choose to drop it 2-3 inches from a spindle, what would good springs be to complement that?

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I would say that Timken, AC Delco and Moog are all reputable manufacturers of quality stuff. I am a 4X4 guy, so I dont know about the drop stuff.

memo43

Reaction score
First Name
Memo
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 (l31 roller motor)
I second what's been said
are you replacing the MC "MAW" might as well.
Same goes for the rag joint, or XJ shaft upgrade.
Sway bar?

I've never had a problem with stock spindles and control arms, but at the same time what is the end goal for the truck, daily driver, racer, pro touring etc etc. The answer should dictate if a change is needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat