cold weather starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
when i start the engine (77 454 carb auto trans) for the first time i pump it a few times ,fires right up if i give it any gas it dies after a couple min of running same thing put foot on brake then in gear it dies. once i hold the gas down a little get it in gear start driving no problem . it's not a bad in warmer weather the guy i bought from said it was cold nature thermostat works fine have good heater. thanks in advance

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like choke/fast idle related. What carb is on it?

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
i'll take a pic of it i don't have a clue of what kind it is

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Choke pull off is opening too much,do a thorough carb adjustment procedure.
I think the book for them years calls for a "Choke Angle guage" but I was always able to get them Qjets tuned right in without it.
OH YEAH,choke pull off is a device that opens the choke to keep the engine from loading up on fuel while it is warming up,if it is set to open the choke too far the engine will act like it is running on a lean condition until the engine gets warmedup quit a bit.That is the reason it trys to stall,noit enough fuel into a cold engine.
Unless it does this even after it is warmed to operating temps,then it is other problems.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say it kind of sounds like you've got a tired weak accelerator pump in the carb too.

chevydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
hunt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Does it do it when it is warmed up or just when it is cold. Because I had the same problem with my Q jet on my jeep. We put a new crab on it. One that had a choke. The other one did not. Now we don't ever have a problem with it starting

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
mainly when it's cold

Last edited:

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
click pic for larger image i couldn't find a tag on 4 barrel carb don't know what kind it is

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You see all the goldish varnish around the accelerator pump? That's usually a sign of a leaking accelerator pump. Probably doing it when your pumping rapidly, which means it's not pumping as much fuel as you'd think. I'd check it. It may not be all of the problem, and you might have a combo of problems. Do you know have your Vac Advance on the Dizzy hooked up? I do believe that's the ported vac line you have plugged with a screw.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
click pic for larger image i couldn't find a tag on 4 barrel carb don't know what kind it is
YUP,You got You a bonified Qjet carb.
That silver round thing with the vacuum hose going to it,on the right hand side of the carb. that is the "Choke Pull Off",if that "Pulls" the choke open too wide when the engine starts then that is what will cause it to stall the engine.
hold the throttle wide open,manually push the choke shut,then let go of the throttle,holding the choke shut until the throttle is closed.Now the choke is "set",start the engine,"WITHOUT PUMPING THE GAS PEDAL" and see how wide the choke is pulled open.
iF it is more than 5/8ths of an inch{measured with a drill bit or some other device that is 5/8ths of an inch}it is probably too far open,it is adjusted by squeezing the control rod where it makes a U bend.
Too far shut and the engine will load up,too far open and it will stall when warm.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You see all the goldish varnish around the accelerator pump? That's usually a sign of a leaking accelerator pump. Probably doing it when your pumping rapidly, which means it's not pumping as much fuel as you'd think. I'd check it. It may not be all of the problem, and you might have a combo of problems. Do you know have your Vac Advance on the Dizzy hooked up? I do believe that's the ported vac line you have plugged with a screw.

It does look to be a bit on the tired side,a good bath would make it feel like new again.:happy175:

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
thanks guys i 'll check it out

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
here's a pick up the dist click on pic to enlarge

Attachments

• DSCI1824.jpg
    DSCI1824.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
i haven't perfected uploading pic's a complete engine shot this is the way i bought the truck haven't done anything to engine bay getting ready to change plugs
't

Attachments

• DSCI1823.jpg
    DSCI1823.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 96

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes