Cleaning Aluminum Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I still want those fuggin wheels !!! Mutha Fuggin Genuine Centerlines for $100. :flipthebird: Wasn't it $100 you paid for those??? I want either Centerlines or Weld Wheels.

They were actually 75 but I was intoxicated and offered 25 bucks to deliver them. I see them pop up on craigslist every once in a while, not ones this sweet though. I saved this set from that idiot, he was going to glass bead them and paint them black! Just keep an eye out on craigslist for cool wheels, everyone is looking for 20's and above so not many people even pay attention to 15's.

Anybody had experience using the Mothers aluminum polisher drill bit and billet polish?

I am going to buy the powerball thing pretty soon and try it on my wheels, I will let you know how it works. The hardest part to get to is around those rivets on the parameter of the wheel, I think the ball thing is the solution to that. My wheels also have those slots all the way around it and they never got polished either.

You'll end up with results like Irish sucks that you don't have any suppliers around to make my mix that and a powerball would give yea a little better of results and you'd have lots left mothers aluminum polish is just a finishing bar ground up and made into a paste

We cant get **** to shiny down here or they get stolen, you dont have very many Mexicans in Canada do you? :roflbow:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I am going to buy the powerball thing pretty soon and try it on my wheels, I will let you know how it works. The hardest part to get to is around those rivets on the parameter of the wheel, I think the ball thing is the solution to that. My wheels also have those slots all the way around it and they never got polished either.

I went mothers.com and it not to use the metal polish, billet polish or mag wheel polish on coated aluminum wheels.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Lmao no we just have Indians that'd rather destroy your **** then steal it lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I went mothers.com and it not to use the metal polish, billet polish or mag wheel polish on coated aluminum wheels.

Yeah because it takes the clear coat off the wheel. That clear coat is applied at the factory to lock in the shine and make the wheels easier to clean. You said the clear is coming off right?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Yeah because it takes the clear coat off the wheel. That clear coat is applied at the factory to lock in the shine and make the wheels easier to clean. You said the clear is coming off right?

On the one wheel theres a small spot where it chipped off.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I was just told that these are badly oxidized and needed to be stripped with aircraft stripper and repolished. Probably gonna need wet sanded also.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
I was just told that these are badly oxidized and needed to be stripped with aircraft stripper and repolished. Probably gonna need wet sanded also.

No you don't need to wet sand, wet sanding doesn't make a difference on aluminum other then a big mess, your better off just sanding with an orbital or by hand dry you can easily blow the dust off afterwards rather then having a pasty mess lol then polish

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What type of sandpaper should I use so I dont ruin the finish? What about using plastic brush on the hard remove dirt and grim?

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
What type of sandpaper should I use so I dont ruin the finish? What about using plastic brush on the hard remove dirt and grim?

Ull wanna use any autobody type sand paper I run carborundiam (not sure exact spelling) its the drive lube aluminum oxide paper same stuff they use for autobody 220 400 and 800 I'd get like 10 peices of each maybe less on the 220 only use the 220 on the rough spots you can do the whole rim if yea like just alot more time getting the 220 grit out

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Its carborundum another good paper is Norton abrasives remember it has to be dri lube aluminum oxide anything else and you run the chance of burning the aluminum here's a lil motivation just did this at work today lol

You must be registered for see images attach

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The clear coat on the wheels is coming off. How do I remove it without ruining the aluminum finish?

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
The clear coat on the wheels is coming off. How do I remove it without ruining the aluminum finish?

I use aircraft paint remover if you can't find that a varnish/paint remover from your local hardware store will work it'll just take a couple more coats don't let it dry on the surface though let it set for 15-20mins then rinse with a garden hose and reapply to the spots that there's still clearcoat you can also use the rattle can paint remover it works alright too

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I use aircraft paint remover if you can't find that a varnish/paint remover from your local hardware store will work it'll just take a couple more coats don't let it dry on the surface though let it set for 15-20mins then rinse with a garden hose and reapply to the spots that there's still clearcoat you can also use the rattle can paint remover it works alright too

ok thanks

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It all depends on if they are clear coated or not. If they are clear coated then there is not way to reallyl clean the aluminum. IF they are not clear coated mothers makes a good aluminum polish. You can tell if they are coated by using the mothers. If it gets all black they are not coated. If it does not then they are. I have some that are coated on my boat trailer and some of the coating is coming off. I just cleaned up the peeling part as much as possible and then used mothers to clean the aluminum. You can still see the difference but it is much better than it was. I think someone spilled brake fluid or something on it??? I just got it so I have no idea. There are companies that will dip the wheel take off the coating and apply a new one. I know here is TX there is a company called wheel works Ithink out of San Antonio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06