Cleaning Aluminum Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Whats the best thing to on aluminum wheels to clean hard to remove dirt and grime? Will a plastic brush ruin the wheels?

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Check the chrome thread in detailing just posted don't use steel wool just a rag and a clean rag after you've scrubbed in with the first rag

Edit: something to dissolve rust thread

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I just use whatever aluminum wheel cleaner is cheapest at Advance, and a small plastic bristle brush. If that dont get it you may beed to lightly use a Scotch-Brite pad, but never use anything metal it will scratch them all to hell.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I just use whatever aluminum wheel cleaner is cheapest at Advance, and a small plastic bristle brush. If that dont get it you may beed to lightly use a Scotch-Brite pad, but never use anything metal it will scratch them all to hell.

Ok, One of wheels is missing a piece of that film that they put on aluminum wheels.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think that's clear coat, once it gets broke through the aluminum begins to oxidize and starts looking bad.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I think that's clear coat, once it gets broke through the aluminum begins to oxidize and starts looking bad.

I know some people will just take that clear coat off. The inside of the wheels look nasty.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Yea the only way to get em to look half decent will be to strip em and polish em back out what kind of rims are they????

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Here's a set of old square body rims I did they were off a 90 suburban had the clear coat on em the left ones sanded out the right ones finished product

You must be registered for see images attach

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Yea the only way to get em to look half decent will be to strip em and polish em back out what kind of rims are they????

Here's what they look like. I dont know the brand til I start pulling tires tomorrow at school on the tire machine.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Here's what they look like. I dont know the brand til I start pulling tires tomorrow at school on the tire machine.

The good from the pics it looks like most of the clear coats still intact so by stripping em they should be shiny under neath now the bad is that the weights are on the outer lip so under neath those weights those wheels will be ******, if you can somehow find bar and make my hand polish they'll come out looking pretty good, you can even hand sand out the rough spots start with a 220 grit then 400 then 800 then go to a 1000 or 1200 grit sand paper 3m paper will work for this from an autobody supplier, then your gonna have to put some serious elbow grease in to make it all match

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dave, those wheels look to be about the same condition as my centerlines when I got them.

I am not a pro so I just used steel wool and scuffed off all the oxidation and years of ******** until they were decently shiny again. Then I got a cheap orbital buffing tool and loaded the bonnet with mothers wheel polish and went to town. It does not shine like Diesel shines work but its quick and easy to getting them looking back to stock.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dave, those wheels look to be about the same condition as my centerlines when I got them.

I am not a pro so I just used steel wool and scuffed off all the oxidation and years of ******** until they were decently shiny again. Then I got a cheap orbital buffing tool and loaded the bonnet with mothers wheel polish and went to town. It does not shine like Diesel shines work but its quick and easy to getting them looking back to stock.

I still want those fuggin wheels !!! Mutha Fuggin Genuine Centerlines for $100. :flipthebird: Wasn't it $100 you paid for those??? I want either Centerlines or Weld Wheels.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I want a set too, but 5 luggers!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Anybody had experience using the Mothers aluminum polisher drill bit and billet polish?

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Anybody had experience using the Mothers aluminum polisher drill bit and billet polish?

You'll end up with results like Irish sucks that you don't have any suppliers around to make my mix that and a powerball would give yea a little better of results and you'd have lots left mothers aluminum polish is just a finishing bar ground up and made into a paste

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB