Chain Grade for Lifting Body from Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Late to the party, here is a load chart:

You must be registered for see images attach
Interesting how 5/16” (which is what I use for the smaller tractors I tow) the grade 70 is stronger than 80, but then increasingly weaker wll from there on out. I guess I was wrong for the most part about g70 being stronger.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Wouldn't using synthetic rope work better or come out cheaper than chain? I know when you aren't putting improper loads or not routed correctly, there is fear of rips, but if you want to pull vertical it would perfect. Like when you see big semis pulled by a seatbelt

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
IMO, I would look for a 2-3" strap, chains against the body of a vehicle can't be good.

I was originally thinking I could get the angle out enough (either have the hoist high enough or use some sort of load leveler) to not be touching the body at all. Wouldn't putting pressure against the body with straps (if the angle were too great) also have the potential to cause damage to the body? Although multiple people have mentioned it, so maybe not

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay after this I'm out. IDK your budget etc.etc. maybe this is a good excuse to buy a 2 post lift, that you will cherish forever.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all! Just wanted to close out by saying I can't thank everyone that chimed in here enough, I really appreciate all the help and advice I've received. The body pull was a success and the GTO restoration can continue. So as not to leave you guys hanging, here are some photos from yesterday's activities.

And, finished product:

Thanks again to everyone for their help, the knowledge (and reassurance) I gained from your answers helped me reach a fairly major milestone in my opinion.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Now just slide a K5 chassis under it and you'll have the coolest GTO around.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I believe, but definitely not certain, your frame is the same as the El Camino and Wagon's. I'm not up to date on these cars as I have never owned any of them, but I've heard of quite a few guys swapping to the ElCo and Wagon frames as they are supposed to be stronger. I figure, unless you are doing a numbers matching deal, it may be worth it to look into the swap if indeed they are stronger.

john mccarthy

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Cubic Inch
Hello Jambo
You could probably lift it with a camshaft drive belt. They are very strong and work well. Take care John

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Doesn't matter what grade chain you use the "WHOLE" chain is only as strong as the weakest link
PERIOD!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84