Chain Grade for Lifting Body from Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but it seems tool and safety related.

I'm ramping up to pull the body of my 1968 Pontiac GTO from its frame to end the tear-down phase and get into actual restoration. I plan on using an engine hoist and some lengths of chain to lift both front and rear, and rest it on 4x4s across jackstands. Question is, how important is grade 80 chain when lifting?

Everywhere I read online screams "NEVER use below grade 80 for overhead lifting". Unfortunately I can't find grade 80 or 100 in any stores near me, no hardware store or farm supply store carries anything above grade 70. Why can't I just use grade 70 rated higher than I need? These grade 70 chains have very high rated working load limits (> 5000 lbs) and the body can't be more than 1000-1500 lbs, so shouldn't that be okay? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for online stores that sell grade 80, I'll spring for that if it's worth the added peace of mind. McMaster-Carr has it but I'm certain shipping will take forever and I was hoping to do it this weekend if possible.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm sure any minute we'll get the people in here that follow everything to the exact specifications, down to 10-32 nuts and bolts and the finer torque specs....

But my previous chainfall was a 70 grade chain and had done me TONS of service.

I picked up the whole front of my k5 just to test my welds on my home grown gantry..

Not to get into the redneck, "my cousins brothers, sisters once did this" stories.

But some figures on weight for you...
At the front of the k5:
502 big block and th400.. What? 1000 pounds???

1200 pound front axle

330 pounds each tire

50 pounds each wheel.

And were not including the lift, and whatever other little bit of weight is included in the frame and body it partially lifted...

Maybe something like 3500 pounds??

I know that when lifting from a single point, the physics of the whole thing changes...

BUT

You'll be fine with the 70 chain.

If you want some beefy chains, they can be at HF.
It's 3/8 diameter links.

Ive put mine to the test behind a big 4 cylinder Perkins diesel tractor pulling a deep rooted tree that was about 15" in diameter. I noticed a couple of the linked stretched after that.

I'm not gonna say "all" HF chains are tough... But those they sell definitely have SOME value to them.

(those 3/8 chains are considered grade 43 by the way)

Out here In the sticks, sometimes you gotta be resourceful.

Here's this as well by the way.

Just a thought!

https://www.harborfreight.com/516-in-x-20-ft-grade-70-truckers-chain-60667.html
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Axe vbb, i bet he knows about **** like that...wait.

Huh?

Pix?

Vbb199 DOES follow chain specifications down to the letter when picking up **** way heavier than a truck body or motor in his professional career as a tool and die maker...

But for home use.... We're talking less than 3500 pounds at a time....

Get the damn 70 chain!

We have equipment at the shop heavy enough to support 20,000 pounds ;)

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Grade 70 has a higher working limit than grade 80. AFAIK, 70 is for DOT and 80 is for overhead/lifting.

We are talking a 1000lb body here, probably less. You’re fine with new grade 70 chain. I lifted my bed off with 1” camo straps from Home Depot, lol.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Gah, thank you all. This is EXACTLY the type of information I was looking for. Real home-garage application type stuff, not the crazy world of industrial specs. I was looking at exactly the chain @Vbb199 posted so I'll probably go with that. I assumed it had to be some sort of CYA or liability deal since grade 70 had such high WLL.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Huh?

Pix?

Lol I'm well aware of your pics or GTFO rules, but what do you want pics of? Unrelated pics of my chevy? Or pictures of the half-dismantled wreck of a car in the garage?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Grade 70 has a higher working limit than grade 80. AFAIK, 70 is for DOT and 80 is for overhead/lifting.

We are talking a 1000lb body here, probably less. You’re fine with new grade 70 chain. I lifted my bed off with 1” camo straps from Home Depot, lol.

If you wanna get real fancy shmansy, I have some of that crazy tough rope the military uses to lower tanks and humvees from the big choppers......

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Gah, thank you all. This is EXACTLY the type of information I was looking for. Real home-garage application type stuff, not the crazy world of industrial specs. I was looking at exactly the chain @Vbb199 posted so I'll probably go with that. I assumed it had to be some sort of CYA or liability deal since grade 70 had such high WLL.

PUNISH IT! BEAT IT!
It won't quit!!!!!!

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
PUNISH IT! BEAT IT!
It won't quit!!!!!!

Hell yeah! I like putting my tools through their paces, separate the quality from the garbage. I sure could use some lengths of chain laying around anyways, wouldn't be bad to keep in the truck in case somebody needs a quick tow as well

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you wanna get real fancy shmansy, I have some of that crazy tough rope the military uses to lower tanks and humvees from the big choppers......
That would be sweet if I could get some of that with a matching ratchet strap

@WamboJambo , you’ll tear/shear whatever sheet metal you’re attaching to before grade 70.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Hell yeah! I like putting my tools through their paces, separate the quality from the garbage. I sure could use some lengths of chain laying around anyways, wouldn't be bad to keep in the truck in case somebody needs a quick tow as well

I frequently abuse my tools.
Lemme tell ya, the expensive ones fail just like the cheap ones..

Might as well just pay for the cheap tools that way you're not out a small mortgage payment when it does quit! Lol.

Just don't cheap out on ACTUAL safety.....

I don't care if it's a 100 pound item, or a 8 ton item.... Don't get under it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL