Catastrophic roller lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I pulled a bad lifter out of my little brother Tahoe last night with a 5.3L in it. We had to pull the heads to even get at the lifter. What a job that was. The bad lifter didn't want to come out and I couldn't figure out why. Little did I know what we were about to find. This thing started making a ticking noise about a month ago. It ticked for a few miles and than quit. Than last week it started the ticking noise again but this time it never went away and just kept getting louder. We figured out it was the lifter and found this catastrophic failure. The lifter took the cam with it and who knows what else. I'm really hoping the rest of the missing roller tip is in the oil pan when we get it apart. Anyone have any idea why this lifter would fail this way?? Any predictions on where we might find the roller at??
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd say it probably started with a rusted/pitted cam lobe. I don't have much experience at all with the 5.3, but I have seen that before.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ouch. :wtf:

Is this a factory motor?

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Yep it's 100% stock. It's my sister in laws truck so I'd say it doesn't get beat on to much either. It was still running really well when we pulled it apart also. Just making a slight knocking noise from the valve train.
I know something was wrong when we had to use a slide hammer welded to a pair of vise grips to pull it out after an hour of trying. It also put a slight groove in the lifter bore. Not a good situation at all. I've seen a lot of catastrophic engine failure in my life but I've never seen a lifter fail like this.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh damn. I know that left a mark !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What year is it?

Posted while on the porcelain throne

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I think it's a 2004.
The cam is smoked also. I looked down through the lifter bore and that lobe looks like it went threw a wood chipper. Pretty sure the engine is goin to have to come out on this one. I've not tore apart an LS series engine beyond the heads but I think the oil pump has to come out to remove the cam. What a PITA. Might be best to pull the engine, get it on a stand, get the pan off and see how much metal we can get out.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think it's a 2004.
The cam is smoked also. I looked down through the lifter bore and that love looks like it went threw a wood chipper. Pretty sure the engine is goin to have to come out on this one. I've not tore apart an LS series engine beyond the heads but I think the oil pump has to come out to remove the cam. What a PITA. Might be best to pull the engine, get it on a stand, get the pan off and see how much metal we can get out.

And if the pump picked up any find particles of metal, I'd hate to see those bearings.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I Have done quite a few of the LS cams.Seem to remember a service bulliten about roller lifter bearing failures and cam lobes with poor hardening.That thing is the worst I have ever seen.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I'll post a pic of the cam when ever we get around to getting it taken out. It's the first cam I've ever seen with a dent in the love. I didn't even think that was possible.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Piston/valve contact?

Nope. Not that I can see. So far everything but the cam and lifter appear to be in great shape. This goofy thing was even still running just like normal when we started on it. It was just making a ticking like a bad lifter tick lol.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You been playing with this?

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think it's a 2004.
The cam is smoked also. I looked down through the lifter bore and that lobe looks like it went threw a wood chipper. Pretty sure the engine is goin to have to come out on this one. I've not tore apart an LS series engine beyond the heads but I think the oil pump has to come out to remove the cam. What a PITA. Might be best to pull the engine, get it on a stand, get the pan off and see how much metal we can get out.

You've probably found out by now, but the oil pump does NOT have to come off to remove the cam. Just the timing cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag