Carb Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I always enjoy the Holley/Quadrajet debate. The fact is the Quad was built as a street carb, good manners and good fuel economy. When the big 3 wanted a higher performance carb, they all looked to Holley. More air/fuel for the high performance muscle cars of the 1960's. Fuel economy, emissions, for the Holley's, not so much.

Holley, very simple and easy to tune. Speed shops across the nation had anything you needed. In the 1970's as the emissions regs. came in, things started to change. Highly re-engineered Quadrajets, became in some cases, a better choice. (for you @Ricko1966 )

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/holley_a_driving_factor_in_the_muscle_car_era/

I'll still stand with @Paladin Holley's are easy to use and understand. Parts are still easy to get online. He!!, you can re-jet without even taking the carb off the engine.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I always enjoy the Holley/Quadrajet debate. The fact is the Quad was built as a street carb, good manners and good fuel economy. When the big 3 wanted a higher performance carb, they all looked to Holley. More air/fuel for the high performance muscle cars of the 1960's. Fuel economy, emissions, for the Holley's, not so much.

Holley, very simple and easy to tune. Speed shops across the nation had anything you needed. In the 1970's as the emissions regs. came in, things started to change. Highly re-engineered Quadrajets, became in some cases, a better choice. (for you @Ricko1966 )

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/holley_a_driving_factor_in_the_muscle_car_era/

I'll still stand with @Paladin Holley's are easy to use and understand. Parts are still easy to get online. He!!, you can re-jet without even taking the carb off the engine.
I have zero problem at all with this. Holley is the simplest carb to tune. I like quads because they are so refined,but if you can't set it up right,all the refinement in the world is of no value.As a replacement carb,holley would be my second choice. Besides a properly set up quad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko