Carb sprays gas into the air?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I could definitely use some help with it. I assume that originally it had a switch in the cab to switch it to on choke or off? I thinking to fixed it i'd need to run a wire through the fire was to a switch, and then a second one back to the carb? I don't know where would be the right place to get the power from
No, a stock 85 gas engine would have had an electric choke. Basically a power wire(20A) runs from an ignition source, through an oil pressure switch that goes into the block at the port right above the oil filter and then straight to the electric choke. When power is not applied to the choke, the spring inside pulls the choke on(just like the thermostatically controlled chokes). When you start the truck, the oil pressure switch closes and lets power flow to the choke. This heats the spring element up and pulls the choke off. The power should be applied to the choke the entire time the engine is running, otherwise the choke will come back on.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@jfrancom101 Eric has given you a great explanation of how the system works, but I'm going to add, no there would be no switch in the cab. The system is fully automatic, and the electric choke coil receives power anytime the truck is running. The power to the heats a bi-metallic spring inside the choke housing which opens the choke.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm not saying this to take anything away from anyone, but since @Rusty Nail brought it up I do get paid for giving automotive advice on another website. But I love square bodies so much I give it away for free here :) Heck I'm still learning too! No matter how long a guy has been turning a wrench there is always something the learn!

jfrancom101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 sierra
Engine Size
Ok so here's what I got. the oil pressure sensor isn't right on the block as shown in the pictures. its actually a little plastic hose that runs oil to the gauges. Not the original gauges, it looks like in the switch from diesel to the 5.7 maybe they had to redo some things like that... There was a small oil leak that leaked right onto the floor mat and I found where the wire was a little cracked to that explains the leak. Not sure how to go forward with the choke though...

Attachments

• guages  .jpeg
    guages .jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 77
  • guages .jpeg
    guages .jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 72
  • gauges.jpeg
    gauges.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 67

jfrancom101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 sierra
Engine Size
I'm not saying this to take anything away from anyone, but since @Rusty Nail brought it up I do get paid for giving automotive advice on another website. But I love square bodies so much I give it away for free here :) Heck I'm still learning too! No matter how long a guy has been turning a wrench there is always something the learn!
For sure! Well I sure do appreciate the advice. Not sure I would have gotten the truck running without everyone help.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I just rewired my electric choke because it was not getting a good 12v. More like 8 or 9v. Just find a good 12v wire with key on. No use in putting a switch in it when you can use your key on as a switch. Glad you got it running.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just rewired my electric choke because it was not getting a good 12v. More like 8 or 9v. Just find a good 12v wire with key on. No use in putting a switch in it when you can use your key on as a switch. Glad you got it running.
I don't know what's up with that, I've seen more than a few choke wires that were getting less than 12 volts.....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know what's up with that, I've seen more than a few choke wires that were getting less than 12 volts.....
Old car-itis maybe?
My electric choke wire was batting out of it's league, running the fuel pump and the choke, when I bought the truck!

jfrancom101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 sierra
Engine Size
I just tested the electric choke with alligator clips and it looks to be broken... I got it used for a good deal so I guess i can't com[lain too much, but what would be my options?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just tested the electric choke with alligator clips and it looks to be broken... I got it used for a good deal so I guess i can't com[lain too much, but what would be my options?
a new choke coil

pricy but i think that is your best bet to fix it
Im not gonna lie this looks to good to be true
20 some dollars and its "Quadrajet Power" brand.. but yeah

edit: spaced he has a edelbrock so rip

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would do as @AuroraGirl says, buy a new choke coil. They are like $20, and that electric choke system if you take the time to set it up right, the truck will run really good though the warm up period without you having to even think about what the choke is doing.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It would have been cool to add color to the spray. Then you could say you were purging you NOS like the tuners do.

Glad you got it fixed.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Isn't OP using an edelbrock? If so this is the kit you'll want to rebuild the electric choke. If OP is using the other carb disregard this post.

Side note: The edelbrock 1405 normally comes with a manual choke the 1406 has the electric choke, so the original owner looks to have swapped on the electric choke. Might want to go through it and make sure it was done correctly while your at it.

jfrancom101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 sierra
Engine Size
a new choke coil

pricy but i think that is your best bet to fix it
Im not gonna lie this looks to good to be true
20 some dollars and its "Quadrajet Power" brand.. but yeah
Would that brand actually work on my edelbrock you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg