Can you eliminate the charcoal canister from a 1983 c10 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qwerty

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy K20
Engine Size
I bought a 1983 2 wheel drive c10 with a 305 that has had all of the emissions eliminated except for the charcoal canister. There's just a bunch of hoses kind of hanging out of it. Can it be eliminated altogether?

Attachments

• 20220916_133401.jpg
    20220916_133401.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 63

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome. Since you posted a photo on your first post, were going to keep you around!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You can eliminate the charcoal cannister,it wouldn't be my preference but you can.You have to make sure the tank is vented and the other lines are capped. Find your vent line from the tank and put a fuel filter on the end,there is your vent and the fuel filter will some crap out of the tank. SirRobyn0 justvdid a write up on charcoal cannisters Id read it and hook it up.A 305 with all the emissions removed is probably going to run worse and get worse milage than if it was all there and working. The EGR helps stop detonation on the 305,so you'll probably have to pull some timing,the ESC pulls timing when there's detonation.No ESC you will probably have to pull some more timing. So it will like be doggy and get crappy gas milage.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Of course you can. If literally everything else has already been removed and hoses are just hanging from it, it's basically just taking up space making your engine bay look bad at this point.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
@qwerty The link for the write up @Ricko1966 mentions is here >> https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...should-be-set-up-and-other-information.37324/ <<

If your considering keeping the canister. Personally I think it is worth while, because there is generally less fuel smell around the vehicle and helps to keep moisture out of the tank, but I also understand some folks just want them gone. Anyhow the link is to a thread all about getting the canister system working properly.

Thank you for posting the link! I have the hose just sitting in the engine bay right now and the canister in the shop. My biggest concern is where all the other hoses connect from the canister.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
The more important question is "should you remove it" and what are the consequences if you do.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thank you for posting the link! I have the hose just sitting in the engine bay right now and the canister in the shop. My biggest concern is where all the other hoses connect from the canister.
I go over where each line should connect to. Or at least I give the most common way they are set up. If you start connecting hoses and get stuck or aren't sure tag me in post, and if possible include a picture and I'll do my best to help.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The more important question is "should you remove it" and what are the consequences if you do.
Well I certainly agree with that statement.

I know folks run around without them, but it's not for me that's for sure. Especially with todays gas, with the ethonal in there you really want to keep moisture, even small amounts out as best as possible. It also seems like at work most of the rigs we see that have rust problems inside the fuel tanks, either have the canister deleted, or the evap-system is non-functional, (example hoses rotted off).

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I kept mine. The only thing it's connected to is the gas tank vent line. That way the gasoline vapors run through the charcoal, and then out to atmosphere. In the original configuration, it would have been drawn into engine.

I like having the canister because there is never a gasoline smell in the garage like you get with tanks vented directly to atmosphere. I'd like to have that same setup on my 69 C10.

BTW, if you do remove the canister, you will have to vent the tank somewhere. Maybe you can find a vented filler neck cap that will fit.

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Only in 49 states. If you're in CA, nope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood