Can this be welded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Is this repairable? If not does anyone have a driver’s side they would part with? Factory steel tube exhaust manifold

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like it's just a pipe plug in the AIR bung and some JB Weld or something slathered on it?

The manifold is stainless IIRC, but yeah it's repairable. A new/used manifold may be a cheaper option though if you can't fix it yourself.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
It is a cast iron pipe plug held in with job weld thanks to one of my boys.

The manifold is split on the bottom under where it fits in. Rock auto has them for (ouch) $166 each plus shipping when in stock. Cannot find one at a junk yard, seems these were only on the vin m engines

I will pull it and take to a welder.

Thanks for the reply!

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Overheated piece of stainless steel with a tubing thickness. It is a lot of work to remove and replace and stainless is very hard to weld properly. I am sure many will argue, but for my money, I would buy the new part and install it.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Overheated piece of stainless steel with a tubing thickness. It is a lot of work to remove and replace and stainless is very hard to weld properly. I am sure many will argue, but for my money, I would buy the new part and install it.

Pricing is 200 plus from summit

I am looking for torque so would a set of long tube headers be a cheaper option ?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Stainless is cake to weld. It’s aluminum and cast iron that’s the “challenge.” Cast and dissimilar metals provide a cooling issue. But as mentioned above. It’s All about the welder and the machine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP