Can it be saved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
My last name is B E N ARDO, not Bernardo, and I hate seeing nothing but Datsuns and Toyotas on the road, that's why I seem overly sensitive.
Didn’t know there were so few old American cars in Vallejo. I only live a couple hours from you in the Sierra Nevada foothills and just about every other vehicle is an old American truck.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Sheesh... this brings back memories to the state my suburban was.

Dead battery, clogged injectors, dead starter, fuel lines and fuel tank clogged, transmission wouldnt downshift until 3mph, and only upshift to 3rd, front right caliper locked down on wheel, brake lines had varnished fluid in them, engine had like, barely any power, no heat, no ac, blower barely worked, but rats nest was blocking vents, rear AC sounded like it had a dead rat in it, fading ignition coil, dry rotted plug wires, dying ign module, vac leak at tbi, and it REAKED of rat piss.....

I had to drive to his house and work on it every day for maybe a week or 2 until i could even get it to turn on and move!

Hm..... yeah..... dad didnt want to give it to me 7 years ago because i "wouldnt appreciate it"

Looking back, i didnt understand, it angered me...
When he gave it to me, i systematically fixed every single issue.
Whole new brake system, all new tires, new transmission, rebuilt tbi, whole new ignition system + Hp mods, new HP PROM chip, gas tank was purged, cleaned, etc, all fluids drained and purged, and replaced .
Front ac and heat fixed, and rear ac fixed. (Didnt fix rear ac yet, bypassed).....

Im driving her everyday, and boy she doesnt disappoint me
Ive taken long distance trips, sat in traffic for hours, towed heavy loads, etc etc.

I also had a low mileage crate motor in the frame working in my side.

My old man was right, i wouldve given up on it 7 years ago. Im older with far more knowledge and patience.

At this rate tho, it only took about a heafty rough 3 or 4k to get it to this state..... all aboit the dedication, and love for the truck, and.....

THE APPRECIATION :)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
My goal for the truck mentioned above was to have a truck that could defy the stained reputation squarebodies have; one that'll drive long distances, tow 6-7k, and HAUL ASS down the road WITHOUT new motor swaps, or more modern drivetrain components.

Im so far doing all that.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Only one said it.

Yep, and if you are referring to me , nowhere in my post was the word "Scrap" mentioned! Just sounds now more than at first was just a chance for a CaliCommieCrat to become offended about something!! Isn't that the way it's done, change to wording to fit the cause and then cry foul?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My last name is B E N ARDO, not Bernardo, and I hate seeing nothing but Datsuns and Toyotas on the road, that's why I seem overly sensitive.

Lighten up Francis....
And, Datsuns? Lol. How many of those you see on the road?

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
^ only one said "send it to me" in this thread. There are plenty of others in this and pretty much every other engine forum.

Sorry to hear about SoCal with virtually no classics driving around. I was in LA back in the late 70's and there were still quite a few.

OT: I remember standing on a street corner near downtown and seeing a Mercedes Benz 450SL convertible. I was an old country boy from the Plains of Texas, I'd never even seen one. I was instantly mesmerized and vowed to own one one day. I now have a 560SL and I gave her a 280SL a few years back. I like 'em almost as much as my trucks.

And I have a pile of squares sitting in the dry Texas climate, not rusting. Sometimes I forget how good we have it right here.

When you decide you need a truck load, let me know and I'll get 'em rounded up.

And let's EVERYBODY have a Snickers...

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I dunno why Ricardo is yelling at me.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
Didn’t know there were so few old American cars in Vallejo. I only live a couple hours from you in the Sierra Nevada foothills and just about every other vehicle is an old American truck.
Trucks maybe, but sedans, coupes, and hardtops? Almost none at all. And that is all over the greater Bay Area, not just here in V Town.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Does it have compression, can it produce spark, does it have a source of fuel, and does it have a sufficient intake of air?

does busch light taste better in memories?

does a square body being a smile to your face when it pops over and this time it didn’t start a fire?

does your cat meow? Mine does.

answer is yes folks

Get a buddy and a 24 pack and 4 gallons of gas and a weekend and send her

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doesn't matter if it runs. Shitcan it. LS Swap and move on.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Late to the party, but the 3.1 in my Olds sat for 15 years, and I’ve been driving it for almost two now. Mind you, that’s a motor that’ll run forever with rudimentary maintenance, but people bitch about the 60* design. I think I’m closing on 214K miles on that one. In contrast, the SBC is much loved and rightfully so.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Late to the party, but the 3.1 in my Olds sat for 15 years, and I’ve been driving it for almost two now. Mind you, that’s a motor that’ll run forever with rudimentary maintenance, but people bitch about the 60* design. I think I’m closing on 214K miles on that one. In contrast, the SBC is much loved and rightfully so.
I had the 3.1 or 3.3 in a 88 Calais

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8