Can it be saved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B1075

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I have a 77 Scottsdale that has been sitting in the garage for 10 years. Hasn't been started in probably 8 years. I drove it there though. Original motor with around 150k miles. My question is, what are the chances I give it a good tune up and look over, drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it and get it running again? Or is it to late and a rebuild is needed? New to the forum, thanks.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
It's always worth trying.
I would drain oil, coolant and fuel
Pull spark plugs
Turn over with a breaker bar on the crank
If it turns over with little/no resistance put fresh oil in, make sure the plugs look good add fuel and crank it up.
I would wait to add coolant until after you get it running. You can run it for a few minutes at a time with no worry.

Once it's running and you've got coolant in it, let it run for a while - get up to temps - then watch for leaks around and under engine.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I would try it.

My now daily driver sat for 7 or so years parked out doors..... took alot of work.... shes now raising hell on the streets and towing 6000+ pounds.

It can be done.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 77 k10 was 25 years old had 80k on it.So it has always sit up mostly.I dont think it hurts a lot of these old trucks to sit too much.I put about 2000 miles a year on it since 2001.I you change out all the fluids,replace that diaphram fuel pump it may be just fine.Put some marvel mystery oil in the gas.After mine sit up so much I had to replace the waterpump shortly after I started driving it.And the fuel pump

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I agree on this! Same thing with my square. Needed some love such as carb cleanin and a fuel line blow through and was cruisin. I personally feel your better off bein its been garage parked.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’d check the fluids add fresh gas,good battery and you should be good to go.

B1075

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Awesome. Thanks for the encouragement. My great grandfather bought the truck new in 77. Spent most of its life in a garage. It’s pretty clean. Had three kids and let it sit for to long. Time to get working on it with them. Thanks again.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
I have a 77 Scottsdale that has been sitting in the garage for 10 years. Hasn't been started in probably 8 years. I drove it there though. Original motor with around 150k miles. My question is, what are the chances I give it a good tune up and look over, drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in it and get it running again? Or is it to late and a rebuild is needed? New to the forum, thanks.

Nope...No way is it ever going to work again after sittin' for 10 years. Way TOO long for any vehicle. So just have it shipped over here to me.... aka...."Mike's GM Square Hospice House" and I will gently help it move on to the next life!! What are friends for...Right! lol:party52:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope...No way is it ever going to work again after sittin' for 10 years. Way TOO long for any vehicle. So just have it shipped over here to me.... aka...."Mike's GM Square Hospice House" and I will gently help it move on to the next life!! What are friends for...Right! lol:party52:

I’m closer...I’ll help him out.
Thanks for the thoughtful offer though Paladin! Lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OP, clean good running truck that has been garaged?
90% chance a battery and fresh gas will light it right off.
Make sure it has oil, stuff the gas line into a fresh jug of gas, good battery, dump a little gas down the carb and fire it up!

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
I’d check the fluids add fresh gas,good battery and you should be good to go.
First, make sure the engine isn't stuck. Mine was sitting in my back yard for 9 years, and one piston was stuck. I got it free, but now it blows some smoke. I haven't put in on the road yet, as I need to rebuild the brake system. If your engine is free, you should be pretty much good to go.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
Don't listen to scrappers. If your engine is free, yes you can put it back on the road. You might have to rebuild the brake system, and your pinion shaft and axle shaft seals might go, but your engine should be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey