Caged Nuts For Cab Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil 83K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi guys. I'm having trouble sourcing the caged nut for the cab mount. The ones I have are so krusty that I'd rather use new ones.
I know I could make them, but it's probably more time and effort to do it and I'd rather spend that time on the truck itself.

I've checked all the usual places and I have the new cab supports, but I haven't found the caged nut.

Anybody got a quick link to a suitable part?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hi guys. I'm having trouble sourcing the caged nut for the cab mount. The ones I have are so krusty that I'd rather use new ones.
I know I could make them, but it's probably more time and effort to do it and I'd rather spend that time on the truck itself.

I've checked all the usual places and I have the new cab supports, but I haven't found the caged nut.

Anybody got a quick link to a suitable part?
Explain

Phil 83K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The bolts that hold the cab onto the frame go into a caged nut, which is basically a 2" steel square plate with a tapped hole in it. The nut, in the front, lives in the cab support bracket that goes between the inner rocker and the longer cab floor support.

Mine is all messed up, as one could imagine, and I'm not sure where to get replacements. The support pieces I bought didn't come with them...

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I think you are going to have to make one or sandblast and chase the threads on the old one.

Phil 83K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Attached is a photo of where one of them goes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Attached is a photo of where one of them goes.

Wow....thats bad.

I think there is a Brother's (truck parts) video with Dave Welsh(?) where he repairs one of these. He cut a flap out of the floor and welded in a new nut.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

hip2bsquare

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
1986 chevy swb
Truck Model
1986 chevy swb
Engine Size
sbc-5.3 ls
I recently replaced my pass side rear bolt. I cut a hole inside the cab support to gain access. I ended up sawzall the bolt to get loose. the "cage" part was demolished, I just replaced with a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut. I still have the original "nut". I tried to re-use it, but was unsure about welding it to the cab since the bolt is much thicker than the sheet metal area? now I am just needing to make sure of the correct "tightness" (torque?) for the new poly cab bushings??? :)

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@hip2bsquare,

I know! "One foot pound." You crank it down as tight as you can get it by hand, then you put your foot on the wrench handle and push it one more time! "One foot pound!" Ha, ha, ha! I was just kidding. That's an old Harley Davidson joke on how tight to tighten down Harley 74 head bolts. I used to have a '48 Pan Head 74, an FL engine. I did have the heads off one time but I didn't use the "one foot pound" spec. I don't remember what I torqued my cab bolts down to when I replaced mine. I think I just got them tight by hand. Who knows what it was, maybe 40 lbs. ft.?

Let me look in my factory maint. manual, maybe it says something about it. It has all kinds of torque factors, even screw inch pound spec's.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@hip2bsquare

I looked and all it shows is where all the bolts go and all the bushings in single cab, crew cab, and Surburbans, but not one single torque spec. It just must be "tight". The book even had the tightening for "glove compartment screws" but no cab bolts.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
How are you going to measure actual torque when the rubber mount is squishing? All you'll be able to measure is the resistance of the rusty nut. Torque specs are related to fastener stretch, ain't gonna happen with rubber bushings in the mix.
As tight as you can get them with a typical 1/2" ratchet, 1-foot handle with no cheater bar.

scwaters

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed 4x4
Engine Size

don’t know if this might help