Trying to figure out my new cab mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Hi all, I'm trying to make sure I get these new cab mounts put together correctly, and am scratching my head. So the big "washer" with the prong and the oblong hole in it, on the left, goes on top, right under the frame, right?

Then, according to the picture, I should have the vaguely T-shaped urethane bushing, which fits nicely over the prong on the big washer on the left. However, on my bushing set, as you can see, what is apparently the top bushing has the big bevel on it, where on the instructions, it looks as though the bottom bushing has the bevel. But ok...

So I can't figure out if I'm supposed to re-use the rusty piece in the middle. It is slightly flattened on both sides, and there are matching flats on the cab mount bracket, but neither side with slide into the hole on the urethane bushing on the right. The bushing opn the right fits nicely into the washer with the bolt through it, on the right. Oddly, too, where the diagram says I should be looking at a nut on the "bottom," that's where my bolt appears to go, and the capture nut in the cab floor is where it says "bolt on my diagram. Also, I can't see where I could reuse the thin metal washer that's partway on top of the bolt, in my picture.

So, do I not reuse the metal part with the flange, in the middle, or the thin metal washer? Have I somehow got this whole thing upside down? Have been searching youtube for the explanation, but no luck yet.

Somebody please set me straight, with the totally obvious solution that's eluding yours truly, the total noob.

Aaron

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Brief update: So I rechecked LMC's wesbite, so make sure I hadn't missed any parts. (https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-ch...cc-1973-87-polyurethane-cab-mount-bushing-set) The kit I ordered said it came in a 16 piece set, which works out right: I've got 8 of the two piece urethane bushings you see in my picture.

I tried mounting the cab with the top washer on the left, the bushing on the left, and the bolt and washer on the far right. That seemed to work ok, but that means that there's going to be poly bushing up next to metal, where it goes through the cab mount flange. Can that be right? I watched the Brothers Truck video on cab mounts, and it looks like I'm doing what he's doing there, but I'm still wondering about having the polyurethane rubbing on where it goes through the metal. Let me know if it would be hlpeful to post a pic of what I've got, in place on the cab.

Aaron

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
this is the kit from energy! :)

Attachments

• _DSC3413.jpg
    _DSC3413.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 80
  • _DSC3414.jpg
    _DSC3414.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 89
  • _DSC3415.jpg
    _DSC3415.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 80
  • _DSC3418.jpg
    _DSC3418.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 82

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Thanks, Sly. Based on your kit, it looks like I'm doing it right.

I'm at that stage where you don't know what you don't know...

Aaron

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Polyurethane is very strong, and your body isn't going to be moving around to wear it down...or at least it shouldn't be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84sqbdy