Cab switch legal issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
And this is the reason why I am trying to fix my cab instead of replacing it with another one. I want my title to stay clean and not have it say rebuilt or ASM.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They better be, or there has been some tomfoolery.

The frame VIN should have the model year and plant code, followed by the sequential portion of the VIN. These should match the full VIN on the cab. Make sure you are looking on top of the upper horizontal flange, not on the side of the rail (the side of the rail contains part number, manufacturer and date code info).

Also - while we are at it - there are no secret VINs on the cab itself, other than some Oshawa built trucks have a partial VIN underneath the heater box.

K

I have a # but there are no letters in it. Maybe Im missing the spot where its supposed to be? There are 3 sets of #s on the passenger rail between the front and rear cab perch's. One is on top of the rail, the other 2 are on the outer side. But all 3 are just digits with no letters. It is an 87 3/4 ton 4wd frame.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I have a # but there are no letters in it. Maybe Im missing the spot where its supposed to be? There are 3 sets of #s on the passenger rail between the front and rear cab perch's. One is on top of the rail, the other 2 are on the outer side. But all 3 are just digits with no letters. It is an 87 3/4 ton 4wd frame.

Are there six digits per set? And you are saying these don't match the sequential portion of the VIN (either from the cab or the SPID)?

Has the frame been swapped that you know of? What assembly plant did this vehicle come from?

K

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are there six digits per set? And you are saying these don't match the sequential portion of the VIN (either from the cab or the SPID)?

Has the frame been swapped that you know of? What assembly plant did this vehicle come from?

K

Well actually I lied the top # starts with CF and then 7 digits but does not resemble a VIN#. I do not have the cab. I bought the frame to use for my project so I was hoping to be able to run the VIN to make sure it is legit and see exactly what it was? I do know for sure it is a factory 4wd 3/4 ton though. It has special reinforcement braces that go from the cab cross member down to the bottom rail surface, one on each side. I was told it was an 87' I have never seen the additional reinforcement braces on any year prior to 86' so I assume that it is an 87' ?

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Well actually I lied the top # starts with CF and then 7 digits but does not resemble a VIN#. I do not have the cab. I bought the frame to use for my project so I was hoping to be able to run the VIN to make sure it is legit and see exactly what it was? I do know for sure it is a factory 4wd 3/4 ton though.

Ok - the last six digits would be the sequential portion of the VIN. Those would match the original cab, where ever it is.

If the 7th from the last digit is a "1" then that would indicate the Oshawa assembly plant (any other time the assembly plant code is an alpha character). If the 7th from last digit is a number but not a "1" then something is wrong (you read it wrong or miscounted).

So, hypothetically: CF1523456 for example, where
1 = Oshawa assembly plant
523456 = sequential portion of VIN

If that's the case you might be able to construct the full VIN knowing the actual content on the frame and ask GM of Canada for the build information for that VIN.

That's the only way I would know to reproduce what it was originally.

However, my gut says that seems like too many digits. I wish you had said it was CF and then six digits, which would decode as
C = 1982 model year
F = Flint plant
523456 = sequential portion of VIN.

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard82.pdf

If that was the case you might be able to create several potential full VINs and check with the GM Heritage Center archive here in Sterling Heights MI to see if any are "real" and what the content/history was.

K

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok - the last six digits would be the sequential portion of the VIN. Those would match the original cab, where ever it is.

If the 7th from the last digit is a "1" then that would indicate the Oshawa assembly plant (any other time the assembly plant code is an alpha character).

So, hypothetically: CF1554321 for example, where
1 = Oshawa assembly plant
554321 = sequential portion of VIN

If that's the case you might be able to construct the full VIN knowing the actual content on the frame and ask GM of Canada for the build information for that VIN.

That's the only way I would know to reproduce what it was originally.

That still seems like too many digits. I wish you had said it was CF and then six digits, which would decode as
C = 1982 model year
F = Flint plant
123456 = sequential portion of VIN.

If that was the case you might be able to create a VIN and check with the GM Heritage Center archive here in Sterling Heights MI.

K

Ok. Actually yes it is CF 1 then 6 digits. I was told it was an 87' So no quick way to ensure it is legit?

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
deleted

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Ok. Actually yes it is CF 1 then 6 digits. I was told it was an 87' So no quick way to ensure it is legit?

If that's true then 1 = Oshawa, F = 1985 model year, C must be Chevrolet (since you already said it was 4wd, assuming it was not converted); six digits = sequential portion of VIN.

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard85.pdf

No quick way; you have to re-create the VIN prefix by using the known content and then "guess" the check digit.

After creating three, four, five or whatever potential VINs you run them through various systems (like compnine) so see if any of them come up as actual VINs, and then you'd have to run those to make sure there were no issues with being stolen and such.

K

Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I didn't know the vin was on the frame.

Don't feel bad most people don't know the frame has a Vin stamped on it. It is kinda like the secret handshake for owners of squarebodies. Those of us that are long time owners or fans know about the frame VIN. Keith just helped decode how to read it though.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I need to check again, but I think my frame off of Mean Green has it on both frame rails.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If that's true then 1 = Oshawa, F = 1985 model year, C must be Chevrolet (since you already said it was 4wd, assuming it was not converted); six digits = sequential portion of VIN.

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard85.pdf

No quick way; you have to re-create the VIN prefix by using the known content and then "guess" the check digit.

After creating three, four, five or whatever potential VINs you run them through various systems (like compnine) so see if any of them come up as actual VINs, and then you'd have to run those to make sure there were no issues with being stolen and such.

K

Great thanks Keith!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Since I will be doing a cab switch soon, I've been watching this thread closely. My initial plan was to transfer the VIN tag from my old cab into the new one using these:

You must be registered for see images attach

So that the end result would be something like this:

But - from what I've learned here and elsewhere - it seems that transferring VIN tags is a touchy subject to say the least.

FWIW, the State of NH has a simple process for dealing with exactly this situation. From the DMV's Title Handbook:

And the form you bring to the State Police (G Barracks I guess):

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Since I will be doing a cab switch soon, I've been watching this thread closely. My initial plan was to transfer the VIN tag from my old cab into the new one using these:

So that the end result would be something like this:

But - from what I've learned here and elsewhere - it seems that transferring VIN tags is a touchy subject to say the least.

FWIW, the State of NH has a simple process for dealing with exactly this situation. From the DMV's Title Handbook:

And the form you bring to the State Police (G Barracks I guess):

I'm not seeing the pics; is it just me?

But - you are correct: switching VIN tags, with malicious intent, is a Federal offense.

The trick is the intent: there are some stipulations that allow for repairs, so there's just enough wriggle room to result in pages and pages of internet conversation, both pro and con.

Add the fact that cutting the metal adjacent to the tag and swapping that would be perfectly within the letter of the law and you've got enough fuel to fire many many years of internet debate.

K

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'm not seeing the pics either.