Cab and bed conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuckWildCustom

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350ci
Hi all, I'm building a truck for my dad as a thankyiu for helping me open my shop and I have a single cab 8ft bed 1978 K20 Sottsdale, is it possible to use the frame still but convert it into a shorter bed and a full size 4 door cab? I haven't found a straight answer, or do I need a different frame? Any and all help would be much appreciated

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Anything is possible but what will it entail is the real question.
I've never compared a shortbed 4 door frame to a longbed frame so I can't be of any help with that. If you could find the dimensions of the frames online you could compare them and sort it out pretty easily I'm sure. Maybe up in the Squarebody Reference Library section?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
They are not the same. You will need a donor crew cab anyways... might as well start from a crew cab frame and cab, then transfer everything good from the pickup onto the crew cab frame. Its fairly easy to cut 14" out of the rear of the frame and the bed to make it a short bed crew cab.... its not easy to make the originally short frame match the crew cab mounts and the short bed mounts.

BuckWildCustom

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350ci
Okay cool, yeah I didn't know if it were possible, if I have to get a new frame, I will stick with the long bed, I just didn't know if the mounts would line up, I'll do some more research and compare the frames and see if I can fabricate it

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Okay cool, yeah I didn't know if it were possible, if I have to get a new frame, I will stick with the long bed, I just didn't know if the mounts would line up, I'll do some more research and compare the frames and see if I can fabricate it

Anything is possible if you don't mind spending the time... but why would you? Time is money, and the amount of hours you would save in janky fabrication to get the cab to mount right and in line with the bed(which you would have to shorten anyways) is just not worth it IMO. You should be able to find a stripped crew cab frame and cab for a few hundred bucks... it shouldn't matter if it's 2wd or 4wd. Then just cut the 14" out of the straight section behind the front mounting bolts and weld it all back together. Now you have a short bed CC that will use all the factory mount points and line up just like stock.

BuckWildCustom

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350ci
That's true lol, yeah I would want it to be done right, so then when my dad takes it to car shows, it stays as close to classic as possible lol

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I had a an '80 C20 3+3 back in the mid 90's. From this forum I learned that even though it was a 20 Series truck it actually came with a 1 ton frame. The 30 Series frames are 2" taller than the C20 frame (8" vs 6" I believe). Definitely look for a 1 ton frame.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
Anything is possible but what will it entail is the real question.
I've never compared a shortbed 4 door frame to a longbed frame so I can't be of any help with that. If you could find the dimensions of the frames online you could compare them and sort it out pretty easily I'm sure. Maybe up in the Squarebody Reference Library section?

Yeah good luck on finding that info, ive been building a single cab long bed on a different frame that i was told was the same but now im thinking its suburban and cannot for the life of me find exact info.....

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
You can do a lot with any GM.
Great trucks to work with.

Crew cab on Suburban frame below.

You must be registered for see images attach
They are not the same. You will need a donor crew cab anyways... might as well start from a crew cab frame and cab, then transfer everything good from the pickup onto the crew cab frame. Its fairly easy to cut 14" out of the rear of the frame and the bed to make it a short bed crew cab.... its not easy to make the originally short frame match the crew cab mounts and the short bed mounts.

Would you happen to know if a 81 1/2 ton single cab longbed 4x4 body will match up body mounts to a 84 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban frame ? squarebodys of course.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Would you happen to know if a 81 1/2 ton single cab longbed 4x4 body will match up body mounts to a 84 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban frame ? squarebodys of course.

I doubt it. I've never seen them side-by-side but I would be very surprised if the frames/body-mounts lined up at all.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Ambitious project to say the least, I think it would be amazing though. Mostly because of the story, reasoning behind it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224