C30 bench fit in a 73 c10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m looking to put a bench in my 73 and I was told guys run a 80’s style bench seats because the back rest is more narrow. Anyone have any experience with that or knows if a c30 bench will fit not sure if it’s bigger than a standard c10

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's differences in the mounting tracks though the years, but as an assembly, '73-'87 seats interchange.

I've never noticed a difference in seating position between the two styles of seat cushions. The biggest difference is just how worn out they are or aren't.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The 81-87 seat back is a little thinner. Also on 81-87 the seat belts go through holes in the seat base similar to this.

You must be registered for see images

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The 81-87 seat back is a little thinner. Also on 81-87 the seat belts go through holes in the seat base similar to this.

You must be registered for see images
Is the height of the seat back cushion any different then other years?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I don't think so, but I went out and took a picture of my '85 today to check and now I'm not so sure. I'll explain.

The '85 is on top, my '79 is on the bottom. You can see the '85 seat back is about 2-3" below the window. Ever since I bought this truck a few years ago, I've felt the base of the seat made me feel like I was sitting in a hole. I was going to address this this winter when I redo the interior.

I know on my '79 I built up the base of the seat a little, but I don't recall if I also added some spacers at the back of the seat between the base and tracks. I like sitting more vertical. I've done this to several of my vehicles over the years. From the pictures it looks like my '85 seat base sits lower at the back of the seat than the '79 does, which would make the difference you're seeing under the window.

You must be registered for see images attach

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't think so, but I went out and took a picture of my '85 today to check and now I'm not so sure. I'll explain.

The '85 is on top, my '79 is on the bottom. You can see the '85 seat back is about 2-3" below the window. Ever since I bought this truck a few years ago, I've felt the base of the seat made me feel like I was sitting in a hole. I was going to address this this winter when I redo the interior.

I know on my '79 I built up the base of the seat a little, but I don't recall if I also added some spacers at the back of the seat between the base and tracks. I like sitting more vertical. I've done this to several of my vehicles over the years. From the pictures it looks like my '85 seat base sits lower at the back of the seat than the '79 does, which would make the difference you're seeing under the window.

I like the way the top of the bench sits right underneath the window seal on the 79. It just looks a lot cleaner but your saying that 81 bench seats have a thinner back foam then previous years?

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like the way the top of the bench sits right underneath the window seal on the 79. It just looks a lot cleaner but your saying that 81 bench seats have a thinner back foam then previous years?
Ohhh wait are you saying you added spacers on the 79?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It just looks a lot cleaner but your saying that 81 bench seats have a thinner back foam then previous years?

I'm not sure if the upper seat frame is thinner on the '85 or the foam is thicker on the '79, but in my '79 I seemed closer to the steering wheel. The spacers I was talking about were under the back of the seat between the bottom of the seat frame and the sliders. This raised the back of the bench an inch or so and made the seat back more vertical.

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm not sure if the upper seat frame is thinner on the '85 or the foam is thicker on the '79, but in my '79 I seemed closer to the steering wheel. The spacers I was talking about were under the back of the seat between the bottom of the seat frame and the sliders. This raised the back of the bench an inch or so and made the seat back more vertical.
That is what I was trying to figure out a few people told me that they Put 81 benches in there truck because they are not as close. but in your comparison pictures the 79 looks cleaner but like you said you are closer to the steering wheel. Which is what I don’t want I guess I will have to run what I have and throw spacers underneath‍♂️

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
This is my '75 with the original bench. I feel a bit too close to the wheel also, which is why I put the smaller wheel in.

squarefan

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I dont have any decent pics because my truck is being stored elsewhere but I was told my seat in my 78 is the rear seat from a 3+3 because the seat back is thinner. I do have extra belly room compared to some of my other squares Ive had

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 70's and 80's seat sitting in my garage and they both appear to be the same. I'll have to tear the seats apart one of these days to verify that.

If you are looking for more room, you can shorten your column or buy a shortened column.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I dont have any decent pics because my truck is being stored elsewhere but I was told my seat in my 78 is the rear seat from a 3+3 because the seat back is thinner. I do have extra belly room compared to some of my other squares Ive had

My '79 3+3 seats seam to be the same size and shape. The rear seat folds forward like most regular cab pickups, but the front seat does not (no need for it to fold).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88