C30 4/6 drop plans. Feedback encouraged. Thanks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm in the planning stages of a drop on my '90 R3500(C30) CC DRW of 4-5" up front at 6" in the rear. Any issues with my plans or thoughts? I want the truck to be lower and have good ride characteristics without being slammed. Truck will be used to tow/ haul.

Front: Bell Tech 3" drop spindles, 1-2" drop coil
Rear: Empire Fabrication notch (appears to be the best on the market, designed to retain frame strength)
Flip the axle using Mopar perches
Re-arch springs and remove several leaves to soften ride and regain 2" in height
Timbren kit to restore weight carrying capacity for hauling/ towing (Trying to avoid airbag related issues)

Question...any issues with alignment? Worth it to upgrade to tubular control arms? I've spoken to few people at shows and there doesn't appear to be the same need like C10s.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is there some kind of crazy spring pack out back? I've always had the opinion that a stock crew cab C30 rides pretty well.

@Big Chip lowered his and may have some advice.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I did a 6/8 drop on mine and I find the ride to be fine with the stock springs in the rear but it rides better with a few pounds of air in the rear bags. As far as the front goes you may want to at least change out the upper control arm so you don't have a 1" thick shim pack when you get it aligned. My truck does drag the front tire a bit when I'm backing up with the wheel turned but that may just be the nature of the beast at this point. I would imagine your front coils are sagging so don't be surprised that it doesn't actually lower it as much as you think it should with the spindles and springs.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
@Big Chip
What control arms did you use? I’ve got an 87 r30 that I’m looking to drop.
Sorry for the delayed response. I used new stock control arms but will be switching to tubular arms at some point. You end up with lots of shims on the upper arm if you use stock. I am searching for a rack and pinion option also. In my opinion that is going to make the biggest improvement in drivability.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will probably buy the POL/ Western Chassis arms. Choppin Block and porterbilt both offer 1" narrower or offset forward/ back so I need to do some more research before I get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL