81 C30 Dually Lowering Kit suggestions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have an 81 Regular Cab C30 Dually that I want to drop. My friend has a 6/8 dropped C10 and while it’s awesome, I don’t want anything quite that involved or that low. I do not want to notch the frame or modify the bed, I don’t want to be on air suspension, I do want reliability and that’s the extent of what I “know”.

I’ve done some research and I “think” I’m leaning towards Western Chassis parts. Im thinking about either a 3/4 or a 3/5 drop, but don’t know what parts I need to accomplish that goal.

The rear fender sits at 35.5in, and the front is at 34.25in. I worry that the 3/5 will leave the truck nose high, however I do like that that kit comes with the leaf springs because mine should be replaced.

For the front, can someone explain the pros and cons of lowering springs versus lowering spindles? Do I need both to combine for a 3in drop or does each part drop the truck 3in? I know the bel tech spindles have some issues with alignment specs after install and bump steering so if I go spindles it’ll be western chassis.

For the rear, at what point do I need to notch the frame? Do I need to worry about driveline angles or other clearance issues? I see lots of people swapping their rear end for a SRW or 14 bolt, is that only for people who want to tuck large wheels? Should I have any issues fitting 235/85r16s on stock size wheels?

My biggest confusion right now is not knowing exactly what parts I need to lower the truck. I see so many different options on the website but unsure if I’m looking at multiple ways to lower these trucks or if I need multiple items to lower it.

I bought Alloy Ion 167 Wheels and 235/85R16 tires, and now I’m hoping to get some guidance on what I need to do to lower it down and make everything work. Cost is a factor because this truck is just a toy, but I also want this to be a reliable truck. I’m not concerned about towing/hauling capability at all, ride comfort isn’t even that important if we’re being honest. I drive tractor trailer for a living and daily a 1 ton diesel; I’m used to bouncing around on the road and don’t expect a cloud-like ride from a 40 year old short wheel base unloaded dually pickup.

What else should I know or expect when it comes to lowering this truck? This will be the first vehicle I have ever lowered, all my other trucks have gone the other direction.

I appreciate everyone’s advice and look forward to learning from you all.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
My biggest confusion right now is not knowing exactly what parts I need to lower the truck. I see so many different options on the website but unsure if I’m looking at multiple ways to lower these trucks or if I need multiple items to lower it.

First of all, welcome!! Bunch of great guys on here, with more knowledge than you could even know what to do with!

These guys here below can solve that problem for you. Great people to work with, I highly suggest checking them out!! I even looked up your truck kits for you, link below.

They helped me out with mine, and I called them up a couple times for some questions that really couldn't be answered by e-mail, they were very helpful. If you want a 3/4 drop, your truck will look really nice, and level. Not nose up, or nose down, also no need to c-notch the frame. If you want nose down I would suggest talking to them (call them up) and tell them exactly what you want, tell them your tire size, and they can put together a kit to fit your needs.

Here is mine (getting closer to done), a 76 GMC with the 6/8 Deluxe drop kit (has all the items, no need to buy anything else). I love it. My driveway slopes towards the back, it is not the truck sitting at an angle :cool:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thank you!

I found some rot in my frame this morning on the drivers side frame rail near the front leaf springs shackle, here’s to hoping that it can be repaired and not the death blow to this truck.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think it's really weird you bought the wheels first.

That's kind of like painting a car and then pulling the engine.

4 inches rear need pay attention to the driveshaft
Front with springs, screw spindles, they stick out and catch on stuff. You gotta drive like a grandma!

In the rear you can get 4 inches with shackles and hangers. (the "front shackles" are called spring hangers.;)

Its not hard but you gotta pull the bed and drill the rivets.

Bed notches at 5 inches+

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Thank you!

I found some rot in my frame this morning on the drivers side frame rail near the front leaf springs shackle, here’s to hoping that it can be repaired and not the death blow to this truck.
I don't know if you're still on the forum but if you can't find a frame locally try www.car-part.com

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax
I think it's really weird you bought the wheels first.

That's kind of like painting a car and then pulling the engine.

4 inches rear need pay attention to the driveshaft
Front with springs, screw spindles, they stick out and catch on stuff. You gotta drive like a grandma!

In the rear you can get 4 inches with shackles and hangers. (the "front shackles" are called spring hangers.;)

Its not hard but you gotta pull the bed and drill the rivets.

Bed notches at 5 inches+

Hope this helps!
I know this is old, but "spindles stick out and catch on stuff"? Our understanding of spindles is definitely not the same...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406