Bvllsh!t on craigslist.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought the Allison was a "mandatory option" with the 8.1 or Duramax

If it was an Automatic Transmission, it got the Allison. NV4500 manual was standard equipment.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sure if anyone else is aware, but does everyone know that GM and Ford have joint ventured together to build an automatic transmission in recent years??? GM may give it one name or model #, and Ford may give it a different model # or name, but they are the same transmission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I find it hard to believe that Ford would share a bellhousing pattern with any other car maker, especially when they seem to be happy having several hundred bolt patterns of their own already and can't make one that fits all their engines.
I'm not a fan of Fords.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'm sure the bellhousings are removable.

Just like both Dodge and GM used the A833 through 1986.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I find it hard to believe that Ford would share a bellhousing pattern with any other car maker, especially when they seem to be happy having several hundred bolt patterns of their own already and can't make one that fits all their engines.
I'm not a fan of Fords.

HEllllll No, GM will NEVER use a Ford Bell housing. Retro is right. The bell housings are probably different and bolt on swapable. The converter styles could even be different and they both us a different input shaft just like the Dodge and GM A833's as Retro pointed out.

I'd have to find my research again on this transmission, but IIRC, this is the transmission that does not even have a 1:1 ratio. It has 4 underdrive speeds and 2 overdrive speeds. Granted, the 1st OD speed is barely OD, but is OD nonetheless.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nevermind. Bad info halted on my end.

Aren't you glad you find these corrections here rather than on a forum like Pirate4x4 or Facebook where some punk ass mutherfugger wants to argue and call you stupid, don't know what you're talking about dumbfuk...? I swear, I'd buy 4-5 monitors a day if I got to punch it everytime I wanted to smack some losing bastard. I just got "TOLD" too. The 6 speed manual.... I've been told in the past that GM and Dodge went NV6500. And easy to believe since GM and Dodge have used the NV's for a long time right beside each other. This time looks like GM jumped ship and jumped on the Ford side this time. And by saying jumped on the Ford side, I mean just use the same manual they do.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not sure if anyone else is aware, but does everyone know that GM and Ford have joint ventured together to build an automatic transmission in recent years??? GM may give it one name or model #, and Ford may give it a different model # or name, but they are the same transmission.

Yeah, the one used in FWD cars. It has the thinnest torque converter body I've ever seen. I guess there were a lot of Volvos that used a variant of the GM 4t60e too. And I know BMW's at some point (maybe still) used a GM-built auto trans.

Nevermind. Bad info halted on my end.

Not all 8.1's got the Allison trans. I think it was optional and it wasn't even available in the 8.1 Burbs I don't think.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was going to post that the Allison wasn't even the standard auto transmission for the Duramax, but the salesman that I talk to wasn't 100% sure on the info, so I retracted it. I know there was a "package" for you to get both the Duramax and the Allison under the same package name, but I am pretty sure you could get the 4L80 behind the Duramax too, at a cheaper price point. I am 100% you got the 4L80 behind the Duramax in the vans.

I am 100% positive the Allison was NOT the standard auto trans for the 8.1, the 4L80 was. The Allison was an option behind the 8.1 like bucket said.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Like on the GMT400 FB page where 15 of them have 1986 squarebodies with "factory TBI" but will not post any pics or proof. All I want to see is under the hood or the VIN...Fuggin VIN is in the windshield for all the world to see anyway *********.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117