Bvllsh!t on craigslist.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Agreed. I cant wait 'till I get my '87 finished so I can hook up a trailer and go get some of these out of state deals.

I been thinking...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-18-car-hauler-flatbed-utility-trailer-INSANE-DEAL-/301578563063?vxp=mtr

This would be the most useful purchase ever... just worried that my 83 C20 with a 350 wouldn't be able to handle this trailer + another truck on the back :) Happen to know what I can legally and safely tow off the top of your head?

Oh, and I don't have any where close to the amount of money required to buy the trailer, but that's a secondary issue lol

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I been thinking...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-18-car-hauler-flatbed-utility-trailer-INSANE-DEAL-/301578563063?vxp=mtr

This would be the most useful purchase ever... just worried that my 83 C20 with a 350 wouldn't be able to handle this trailer + another truck on the back :) Happen to know what I can legally and safely tow off the top of your head?

Oh, and I don't have any where close to the amount of money required to buy the trailer, but that's a secondary issue lol

I wouldn't worry about the truck being able to tow it (unless the engine and trans are tired) think of all the gigantic travel trailers you see on the road. the trick would be in getting the correct trailer for the amount of weight you're talking about hauling. The one in the link looks like it would be right at the limit with a standard cab, longbox on it. You would definitely need both axles to have brakes, and I would consider a heavier axle under the trailer also, that way you're not stressing the equipment if you were to move trucks like these often.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I wouldn't worry about the truck being able to tow it (unless the engine and trans are tired) think of all the gigantic travel trailers you see on the road. the trick would be in getting the correct trailer for the amount of weight you're talking about hauling. The one in the link looks like it would be right at the limit with a standard cab, longbox on it. You would definitely need both axles to have brakes, and I would consider a heavier axle under the trailer also, that way you're not stressing the equipment if you were to move trucks like these often.

I don't know if the engine/trans are any good, I've never started or driven the truck. LOL! But assuming they are, (should find out next week I plan to have it running this Friday) there's just the money issue then.

Think an 83 C20 350 could handle that trailer with my 96 Yukon K1500 or 98 K1500 Silverado on it (not at the same time, obviously)...

It's an incredible good deal on that trailer and it would just be so darn useful! I could add on a 10K winch and have my own tow truck... except when the truck needing towing is the ole C20 cuz everything I have is half ton thus can't haul something that big probably... or would it?

You can tell I've never towed anything in my life.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I don't know if the engine/trans are any good, I've never started or driven the truck. LOL! But assuming they are, (should find out next week I plan to have it running this Friday) there's just the money issue then.

Think an 83 C20 350 could handle that trailer with my 96 Yukon K1500 or 98 K1500 Silverado on it (not at the same time, obviously)...

It's an incredible good deal on that trailer and it would just be so darn useful! I could add on a 10K winch and have my own tow truck... except when the truck needing towing is the ole C20 cuz everything I have is half ton thus can't haul something that big probably... or would it?

You can tell I've never towed anything in my life.

As long as the engine and trans are up to it, a 3/4 ton should have no trouble towing another vehicle as long as you use your head on the road. however, the trailer that was advertised, only has 1 axle with brakes, and weighs 1700 lbs. so that leaves you with 5300 lbs to work with. If your trucks weigh less than that, you should be able to haul them. But I would still order the trailer with brakes on both axles.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Having brakes on both axles would be a good idea, when it comes to braking, too much is never enough.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As long as the engine and trans are up to it, a 3/4 ton should have no trouble towing another vehicle as long as you use your head on the road. however, the trailer that was advertised, only has 1 axle with brakes, and weighs 1700 lbs. so that leaves you with 5300 lbs to work with. If your trucks weigh less than that, you should be able to haul them. But I would still order the trailer with brakes on both axles.

Having brakes on both axles would be a good idea, when it comes to braking, too much is never enough.

You could get by with brakes on 1 axle without a problem so you can get the trailer as advertised and days down the road you can add the 2nd axle brakes yourself. It's not hard to do and most brake controllers are for 1-2 axles anyway so you'd be good for the retrofit later.

Dexter is the trailer brake brand industry standard. And as said, you could get by with brakes on 1 axle, but here's what I tell people, with brakes on 2 axles the brakes also last much longer, about 2x longer, so not matter what you'd have spend the money eventually anyway, so actually the 2nd axle brakes and just paying for maintenence in advance and for that you get the ADDED SAFETY for FREE.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I been thinking...

BTW, here is a link where you can buy the brakes and do it yourself. So figure $200 for a complete set up. Most trailer builders charge, or you can talk them down to $200 to add brakes to the 2nd axle then they're doing the labor for FREE and should be included in their warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-5-o...TER-/151016861442?hash=item23294e6f02&vxp=mtr

It will be years and years and years before you'd need to change the brakes. When you do, it's actually cheaper just to buy the whole kit less the drums and know you got ALL new parts. Just swap the backing plates with the whole kit and use your existing drum and rock on. You just don't use a trailer everyday so the brakes last a long time, not to mention the front vehicle is doing most of the stopping, the trailer brakes are just helping so they don't wear very fast. Now sometimes, you'll actually have the trailer stop your truck, just all depends on where and how the trailer is loaded as far as weight and you can set your controller to be very aggressive too to where your trailer brakes are coming on first and sometimes that's all you need. Like if your coming down a grade and picking up speed, you'll feel the ass end start to get a little loose, then just touch the brake pedal and the trailer brake comes on, or use your manual brake controller and touch the trailer brakes but not your truck brake pedal and it straightens right out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Trailer-3...ING-/160919704994?hash=item25778fd5a2&vxp=mtr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehernandez