Build thread. Sad Sack Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I bought this around '12 or '13 I think.
Drove it a few years until the trans died in '17. Yes, a 700r4. Never again...
It's been sitting every since, basically just a storage unit...it's covered in moss, mold, and rust...

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It's not had a rear window since I've owned it. I bought one a few years back when I was thinking about getting it running, but came across my old K5.
Ordered some goodies for it last week. Some came in yesterday...

5 new Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ's. 33x10.5-15.

Gm accessory drive for...

Gen 6 Vortec 7400! Yep. Fockital, going big block.

4" rear lift springs. BDS...
Brown box - 2 +4" Bilstein 5100 shocks.

White box - bushings and bolts for the springs. U-bolts are still in route.

These springs should give a slight rake to it, like a 2 wd has.

I'm sticking to the 10 bolt rear for now. I just want to get it running. I'll shop for a 6 lug 9.5' down the road.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Man that's a nice truck! I love that blue/silver combo. Hopefully you don't find a bunch of rot in the rear with it sitting without a back glass for so long
Surprisingly, it's clean. I cleared the drain holes every once in a while, also. Keeping the critter nests cleared out.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
4500? Man you are going ape sh!t crazy! You gotz the pedal assembly? I love the patina on the hood. That's a wall hanger.
Yep. Got all the hardware I need. Hydro clutch setup up. This was all intended for the K5...
If you like the hood, you'll love the roof! Lol

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Navy blue and silver, that's the combo our '84 Burb was. Ours was 2wd and a 350, also had a 700R4. I think, in the 13 years we had it, the trans got rebuilt. Dad and I went through it, bumper to bumper, over those 13 years...the paint had gotten bad especially on the roof, but it started up every time after a new QJ and a new radiator (these were replaced in the last few months we had it).

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Surprisingly, it's clean. I cleared the drain holes every once in a while, also. Keeping the critter nests cleared out.
Good, glad you did. I stopped to look at one not long ago that I pass everyday to and from work that's had the rear window busted out of it for god knows how long. Opened the 'gate and it tried to fall on me and cut off my legs, the hinges/pillars were GONE. Saw the carpet sagging and sure enough, there was no rear floor to speak of. The whole back end was cantilevered off the bodymounts over the axle

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Good, glad you did. I stopped to look at one not long ago that I pass everyday to and from work that's had the rear window busted out of it for god knows how long. Opened the 'gate and it tried to fall on me and cut off my legs, the hinges/pillars were GONE. Saw the carpet sagging and sure enough, there was no rear floor to speak of. The whole back end was cantilevered off the bodymounts over the axle
Down here, they rot around the rear AC on the right rear corner. Even with a good back glass or barn doors. I've seen them with holes back there, almost as big as a human head....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Heck, I've seen them rust out like that even with a rear window.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Navy blue and silver, that's the combo our '84 Burb was. Ours was 2wd and a 350, also had a 700R4. I think, in the 13 years we had it, the trans got rebuilt. Dad and I went through it, bumper to bumper, over those 13 years...the paint had gotten bad especially on the roof, but it started up every time after a new QJ and a new radiator (these were replaced in the last few months we had it).

My dad had a 84 burb tan and brown with the 6.2 diesel and 700r4. That mf was the best square we ever owned! By far!

My dad bought it new and we drove all over the country 3 weeks a year after me and my sister got out of school. Towing a 23' travel trailer. Never a bit of a problem.

Then we moved to Illinois 4 years later. Drove it from Texas. It ran great even in the freezing weather. For another 2 years until my dad traded it in. Had the oil warmer.

Like I said fcking best square we ever had hands down. Couldn't stop it. Reliable af!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad