Broken detent cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
So I was in the process of replacing my flexplate and starter and to do so as many know is to pull the transmission or pull the motor. I had everything unhooked and unbolted or I thought... The last thing holding the transmission in before it fell on me was the detent cable. I did not realize that you had to unhook the cable on the throttle body so it would release to unhook the cable from inside the transmission.
Here is what I have 1987 silverado with the 5.7 efi with a th350 not sure if it is a "C" model or not.

Well the plastic part of the cable that goes into the transmission broke which I suppose helps seal it from leaking.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now I went to the parts store and what I got for a replacement isn't right. It's part #ca1951 the tube isn't the right size to fit into the trans.

All I could find for it at the parts store was for an 87 and a 700r4 which was originally in the truck. My Gpa burnt it up hauling his fifth wheel camper so he put in a th350. But he has since passed and I have no paperwork or info on the trans swap. The kick down cable that was installed appears to be a telescopic one but I cannot match a part number with anything. All I can see on it is 5m4305

Anyone have any input on how I can find the right kick down cable,part numbers etc... I tried cross ref and turned up nothing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The cable you bought, is it a universal th350 replacement? If so, try finding a stock replacement for an '81 truck with th350.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
You are onto something. I was looking up for a 1980 since 1987 didn't have an option for th350. Which the 80s th350's are the "C" models. I searched for a 1971 with a th350 and it brought up part number ca1952 which in the picture matches what I broke. So I will call and order one tomorrow. Thanks man for that; I am slapping myself in the head for not thinking about that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP