Broken clutch return spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
While replacing fouled plugs today my clutch pedal broke the attached spring.
It’s not the monster spring, but a 2nd one. This clutch gets a workout as I plow multiple driveways, 9” yesterday.
I’ve not found a useful diagram at LMC or the shop manual. Can’t determine the hook points. It’s possible that I added this spring for exactly the same common fail to return sometime after I got the truck in 78 & just don’t remember. My understanding of the large spring is that it acts in an over center set up. In any case the pedal will not pop back up fully. Ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 30

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
While replacing fouled plugs today my clutch pedal broke the attached spring.
It’s not the monster spring, but a 2nd one. This clutch gets a workout as I plow multiple driveways, 9” yesterday.
I’ve not found a useful diagram at LMC or the shop manual. Can’t determine the hook points. It’s possible that I added this spring for exactly the same common fail to return sometime after I got the truck in 78 & just don’t remember. My understanding of the large spring is that it acts in an over center set up. In any case the pedal will not pop back up fully. Ideas?
so this spring is on the pedal assembly and not on the fork on the frame?

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks AuroraGirl, Yes, it’s under the dash. I see now I Didn’t make my situation clear. Truck is a 74 K20. I followed the link and it looks like my spring. Need to look again for the described attachment points. If everything agrees no problem as I can repair or modify springs.
Side note, saw comments on your absence, thought you were in the state as Aurora is a suburb of Denver! Thanks for the reply’s.
Jim

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks AuroraGirl, Yes, it’s under the dash. I see now I Didn’t make my situation clear. Truck is a 74 K20. I followed the link and it looks like my spring. Need to look again for the described attachment points. If everything agrees no problem as I can repair or modify springs.
Side note, saw comments on your absence, thought you were in the state as Aurora is a suburb of Denver! Thanks for the reply’s.
Jim
you may be able to go to a hardware store or size up the spring on a hardware website to find one that will work. id imagine the length and the strength of it are the most important aspects, but not sure how to shop for a spring like that otherwise.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welded a new hook on the spring this AM. Lock washer to the rescue. Reinstalled in the most logical location. Back in business.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Welded a new hook on the spring this AM. Lock washer to the rescue. Reinstalled in the most logical location. Back in business.
hopefully it holds up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag