Brake line, opinions needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

annettemarie

Reaction score
First Name
Annette
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Suburban V10 Silverado
Engine Size
The other day i had to MASH down my brakes to stop ( sudden traffic stopping) and when i did this i blew a hole in the brake line. As i look i can see its rusted and needs replacing. Its a 88 Suburban 4x4. Im having trouble finding pre bent lines at a reasonable price. should i go with pre bent? bend my own? use steel braided? I need some SEASONED square folks to round table this with

annettemarie

Reaction score
First Name
Annette
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a set in my cart at inline tubing. I see LMC has something also.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If just trying to get by for a short time you can make a line, double flare.

If it was my vehicle inspecting all the lines would be on my list. Look closely where the brackets attach. Of course, replacing all of them including the hoses would be safer and best.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I found pre bent stainless steel lines ( complete set ) for my Avalanche on Amazon under $100.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I don't remember where i bought my pre bent stainless brake lines but i do remember a holy crap moment when finding this on both front brake lines...
The pic makes it look obvious but it was actually hard to see, from the top they looked ok. This is where the line comes through the frame and meets the rubber hose.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You can. Do you have the tools and the experience that you trust yourself? If so then go right ahead.

annettemarie

Reaction score
First Name
Annette
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you ALL for your input. Good call Doppelganger I will heed that advice. I have ZERO experience in this, but hey that's where you guys come in. This was supposed to be NO WORK needed sub ( haha) again my inexperience has cost me. I'm a quick study though. I bought from inline tubing the whole kit and mounting clips kit. I felt like I needed to run it past all you gentlemen first though cause I hate making mistakes and if I can learn from someone else then give me a seat!

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do it professionally and make my own to fit. You only need a good bender (cheap) and a great double flare tool (not so cheap). Prebent long lines come bent into knots to ship them..don't use stainless line, as it is too hard for home tools. A good flare tool has dies and a fixture that is held in your vice. One note of caution- put the fittings on the line before flaring it, as the fittings don't go on afterwards.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had to do a lot of straightening of the pre-bent lines to get around the cross-members, fuel lines clutch linkage & front leaf spring mounts. I would only go with pre-bent again on a stripped down bare frame.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Everyone has solid advice for you. I will add this: buy a length of line and PRACTICE making double flare ends on something you won't need. This will be quality time spent learning and confirming your skills. After not having to make a double flare for a few years, I myself have made a practice run just to clear up the cobwebs.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
Like the one answer, buy copper/nickel tubing, a decent double flaring tool and bender from Eastwood or the internet, and go for it. YouTube has lots of good videos on doing this yourself. And, yes, either replace all your brake lines, or, at least inspect the ones you don't replace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii