Brake light troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc Rexroad

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Just bought a 79 c30. Taillights and turn signals work but brake lights dont.

Checked the brake light switch and it is working properly with power only when pedal is pressed.

Checked for power thru the firewall and there is none when brake is applied.

Turn signal will not stay on and switch feels all messed up. Hard to engage.

Thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I believe that turn signal switch interrupts power to the brake light when the turn signal is on.I would verify that my turn signal switch was operating properly.Fwiw I mounted a momentary contact switch as in universal horn button on my floorboard, wired it to the brakelights and the battery once when I was like 16 it was my choice if my brakelights came on.Arent teenagers clever.But it would get you by temporarily.

Marc Rexroad

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks for the feedback. I am confused on how to check the turn signal switch. I found the main harness with the plug in and verified everything there.....but how do I check it after the switch?

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Push and pull the hazard switch a couple times, then check your brake lights. Sometimes the hazard switch causes funky light issues.

Check for power at the white wire of the turn signal switch with the pedal pressed. If it’s good, check for power at the green and yellow wires. If you have no power on those wires with the pedal pressed, the turn signal switch is defective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare