Tail light brake light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm having an issue with my rear lights and can't find the problem. With lights off, both brake lights light up. With light on (both sides lit) and brakes applied, the drivers side brake light comes on but the passenger side goes dark. I assume I have a bad ground somewhere but going hand over hand of exposed wire I don't see any breaks in the wires al the way to the firewall. All fuses seem to be good visually. Is there anything past the firewall I should look at? Is it possible the socket is bad? Are there common areas on this harness for a bad ground? What is the best way to narrow down the ground with the voltmeter?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm having an issue with my rear lights and can't find the problem. With lights off, both brake lights light up. With light on (both sides lit) and brakes applied, the drivers side brake light comes on but the passenger side goes dark. I assume I have a bad ground somewhere but going hand over hand of exposed wire I don't see any breaks in the wires al the way to the firewall. All fuses seem to be good visually. Is there anything past the firewall I should look at? Is it possible the socket is bad? Are there common areas on this harness for a bad ground? What is the best way to narrow down the ground with the voltmeter?
I wonder how the headlight switch is grounded? Gotta be something simple.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It looks like there is one factory ground to body on the drivers side and it is connected. I jumpered both side to a known ground and changed bulbs with no change. I’m starting to suspect the bulb socket.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
I’m with you. We just had this two weeks ago and it was passengers rear socket, but it happened at the same time we replaced the brake switch and so that Easton chasing his tail for a bit. Luckily had an extra new socket on hand and all worked after

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I ran the volt meter from both inputs on the socket and they both got power when they should, and grounded it to a known good ground. Indicates a bad ground internal to the socket itself. I couldn’t unplug the ground wire in the socket (it feels like a mechanical connection wire to socket) but could tell it had some corrosions on the inside by the wiggling it around trying to free up the corrosion on the contact surfaces. Seems to work as it should for now. Randy I suspect it was the same problem you had thanks for boosting my confidence on thinking it was the socket.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All good Elliot? Sorry for the poor suggestion. For a minute my brain crossed over to my old ‘54 that just about everything was routed through the headlight switch.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yea all good now. For such a basic truck the wire harness can still beat me up sometimes lol

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I’ve got the same issue - brake lights work when the lights are not on
But when I turn the lights on, I get nothing at the back - no tail lights, no brake lights
Can anyone tell me where the grounds are for those lights? Or if there’s anything else I should look at?

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The grounds are just behind the tail light lenses

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’ve got the same issue - brake lights work when the lights are not on
But when I turn the lights on, I get nothing at the back - no tail lights, no brake lights
Can anyone tell me where the grounds are for those lights? Or if there’s anything else I should look at?
You must be registered for see images attach

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank y’all

greyghost

Full Access Member