Body filler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Was welding up my fender today but I have to get some body filler. I have use bondo and rage what kind do u guys like?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Irishman uses 2 x 4's and expanding foam. :roflbow: :roflbow:

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Lmao probably cheeper

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
4 parts dirt and 1 part water.

Seriously, try different stuff and see what you like best. I like the 3M fillers. Also some fillers work better for different applications and different temps.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Any filler will work. I use bondo, but it doesn't make a difference. It's taking the time to get it smoothed out right. I will bondo it, use a high speed disc sander with 80 grit to knock off all the high spots. Switch to a finishing sander with 80. Bondo again until all low spots are filled. Finishing sander with 80 or 120 depending on how rough it is. Hit it with a high build primer and usually hit it several times. I will wet sand with about 200 grit here until there are no high or low spots. If you see low spots that are real bad after a coat or two or primer and the primer shows what you missed a little dab of bondo smooth it with the finishing sander and go back to primer until it looks like a baby's ass. If you don't prep right. Your paint is going to look like your grandma's ass. Hit by a bag of nickels. If you are wondering if it's smooth hit with a touch of spray paint just a mist. It will show imperfections. Then hit it with primer and smooth again. Clear coat is not the time to try and smooth body work out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I like the Bondo brand myself but that's not saying others aren't just as good or better :shrug:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I like the Bondo brand myself but that's not saying others aren't just as good or better :shrug:

Agreed... I use it because it's so readily available.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Any filler will work. I use bondo, but it doesn't make a difference. It's taking the time to get it smoothed out right. I will bondo it, use a high speed disc sander with 80 grit to knock off all the high spots. Switch to a finishing sander with 80. Bondo again until all low spots are filled. Finishing sander with 80 or 120 depending on how rough it is. Hit it with a high build primer and usually hit it several times. I will wet sand with about 200 grit here until there are no high or low spots. If you see low spots that are real bad after a coat or two or primer and the primer shows what you missed a little dab of bondo smooth it with the finishing sander and go back to primer until it looks like a baby's ass. If you don't prep right. Your paint is going to look like your grandma's ass. Hit by a bag of nickels. If you are wondering if it's smooth hit with a touch of spray paint just a mist. It will show imperfections. Then hit it with primer and smooth again. Clear coat is not the time to try and smooth body work out.

It actually makes a BIG difference. Some types sand much faster and easier, and some types sand easy with one brand of paper, but not another. Some fillers are stronger. Some fillers are flexible. Some fillers are thicker. Some fillers are a bit runny. Some fillers have less pinhole problems. Some fillers tend not to soak up the primer over the years. Some fillers feather better. Some fillers bite into bare metal better. Some fillers bite into primer better. I could probably keep going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet