Best stock head and Aftermarket cam combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You need all that stuff anyways and the cost of the intake is well worth the upgrade :)

which is why I said by the vortex

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Alright, so to add this up I'm looking at vortec heads and intake, cam of some sort, and a cam kit. I'll have to see what carb I have on there, hopefully I can avoid replacing that. I do have an extra carter carb that the guy gave me. I haven't check what part number it is and I'm guessing it needs a rebuild. Looks like I might be able to eek by for around $1000

Edit: The carb is an Edelbrock 1406, so it's a 600cfm not 650. I'm guessing that is not gonna work with the vortec intake?

The cam kit comes with a cam

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Alright, so to add this up I'm looking at vortec heads and intake, cam of some sort, and a cam kit. I'll have to see what carb I have on there, hopefully I can avoid replacing that. I do have an extra carter carb that the guy gave me. I haven't check what part number it is and I'm guessing it needs a rebuild. Looks like I might be able to eek by for around $1000

Edit: The carb is an Edelbrock 1406, so it's a 600cfm not 650. I'm guessing that is not gonna work with the vortec intake?

The cam kit includes a cam

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Vortex .. If we could harness that power in a truck! :party36:
You must be registered for see images attach

Yep that's exactly why they are called vortec

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Vortex .. If we could harness that power in a truck! :party36:
You must be registered for see images attach

voice texting types what it wants. Do you guys all have jobs?

hey to the original poster, give me a while and I will post screenshots of all the part numbers I used on my vortec head swap.intake gaskets and bolts, head gaskets and bolts, intake, springs xcetera

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
also, I have a pair of 906 Vortec heads for sale, but shipping to Arizona would break you probably

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How much you want for them and are they bare or fully assembled ?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it's been recently rebuilt, and the Vortec heads start adding up to more than you want to do for a hold-me-over-I'm-gonna-build-a-new-engine-up-later-anyway, you might just replace the cam. 12-300-4 is what I have, with same as you on everything else (carb, pipes, etc.). 275 hp, 422 lbft. Runs out of steam about 4600. The 12-235-2 will give you 290 hp, 415 lbft, and wind to 5200. The 12-208-2 will give you 307 hp and 403 lbft, and wind to 5750.

Download the Camquest software and play around. Setup down the left side is:

Usage [2, 3, 4 or 5]
Hydraulic
4500 lb vehicle weight
Carbs
Chevy 350
2-valve, wedge, low/perf/stock ports, valves
1.940 in
1.500 in
Dual plane high flow
600 cfm
None
Gasoline
Large tube headers, mufflers without cats

When you run simulations, make sure you give due deference to the torque curve from 1500 rpm to 3500 rpm. Wind-up horsepower is nice, but you have to get the truck moving first.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The springs for that comp cam will not fit the heads. I built a vortec motor. It has about 10 miles on it. The inside of the valve spring boss is .9" so unless the cam can be used with the stock springs its not cheep to machine and swap springs. Might as well go with a different head. I would go with the summit heads with the 170cc chambers. The a copy of the old camel hump heads. There no dart head but are a cheep upgrade, will raise compression a little and make more power than your stock head for cheaper than any other new head swap on the market. but if it was me and I just wanted 300 HP I would just do a cam swap. Something like the comp high energy 268 cam. If you do a head swap I would do the same cam with the summit heads or the XE 262 with the vortecs if you go that rout. I don't know why every one dives on these vortecs. There great heads but I would have rather went with a set of darts, edelbrocks or trick flow and after the price I could have.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The springs for that comp cam will not fit the heads. I built a vortec motor. It has about 10 miles on it. The inside of the valve spring boss is .9" so unless the cam can be used with the stock springs its not cheep to machine and swap springs. Might as well go with a different head. I would go with the summit heads with the 170cc chambers. The a copy of the old camel hump heads. There no dart head but are a cheep upgrade, will raise compression a little and make more power than your stock head for cheaper than any other new head swap on the market. but if it was me and I just wanted 300 HP I would just do a cam swap. Something like the comp high energy 268 cam. If you do a head swap I would do the same cam with the summit heads or the XE 262 with the vortecs if you go that rout. I don't know why every one dives on these vortecs. There great heads but I would have rather went with a set of darts, edelbrocks or trick flow and after the price I could have.

Most guys don't pay $600 for a set of Vortecs. usually its $75 for a set from the wreckers. That's where they got there luster from on top of being great factory heads.

If you could swap a set of Vortec heads on for less then $150 and get an immediate 50-100 HP wouldn't you do it?

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just finished a vortec head swap. Picked the heads at the bone yard for 100 bucks added some behive gm springs and comp retainers. The springs and retainers went on with no machine work. I did have the machine shop go through them and added scewin rockers. I went with a hydraulic roller cam 206/212 @50 with 480/487 lift and it works nicely and runs strong. I got the edelrock 2116 with my stock q-jet and some valve covers off a tbi engine. The swap is worth it in my opinion

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I tried the LT4 springs too, I still have them in a box they were .880 on the inside diameter and still did not fit. I might have been able to put them on if I heated them or something. My voetecs are the 906 castings. That is what the GM L31 crate motor comes with. Are yours the 062 castings? I would love to be able to get an extra set if the springs would just drop in. Like I said though my valve guide boss was .9" inside. My comp cams beehive springs were like .840" if I remember. If you can get them to fit the retainers are thinner and allow for more lift than a normal retainer. Comp cams told me about .525 lift with there springs, retainers and stock heads with out machine work. I had the screw in studs put in too which added to the cost to the heads. I have not found a set for sale for less then $200 were I live. I could see about 20-30 HP but I am doubting there good for much over that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksquare84