Best sounding squarebody mufflers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ethom

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I run the longer Magnaflows, true dual w/o a crossover pipe currently. THe wall thickness of the tube is crazy at about a 1/16" or so from memory. I like the quiet thumping with a little roar once i get on it or stress the engine a bit locking up the converter. I can cruise at any speed even the interstate at 80 with no drone noise issues. You may not hear me if your radio is turned up at a stop light but with the hammer down she thumps a little and it gets noisy in the cab for a few seconds.

Aside from having less packing in the muffler and no cat, tinnier noise will also come from thinner walled tubes especially stainless and bigger diameter tubing. Also having more rigidly mounted exhaust w/o rubber isolators or fewer isolators will help. Admittedly I would do none of these things on my own vehicle because I don't care for the tinny popping. THe more hollow sounding a muffler sounds when you knock on it the more tin you'll get out of it.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's certainly a personal preference, but I like Walker Dynomax Turbos with the long 20" case in a 2-1/4" system. Nice rumble but not too loud. Also, less restriction than other so-called performance mufflers. Probably a little louder in a 2-1/2" system, but I'd bet it wouldn't be too loud.

My son's 69 has 14" Magnaflows that sound really nice at idle and cruising speeds, but they are really loud under even moderate acceleration.

*** Hey, those Porters sound cool! Very old skool.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My son's 69 has 14" Magnaflows that sound really nice at idle and cruising speeds, but they are really loud under even moderate acceleration.

See, this is why muffler threads don't work. Its 100% opinion. I don't think Magnaflows are loud under acceleration at all. Even with headers, 2.5 duals and no cats. Yeah they are louder than at idle, but not loud.

With mufflers, you just have to pick something and try it for yourself.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
See, this is why muffler threads don't work. Its 100% opinion. I don't think Magnaflows are loud under acceleration at all. Even with headers, 2.5 duals and no cats. Yeah they are louder than at idle, but not loud.

Yeah I think I've definitely learned a bit from this thread, but yeah it is mostly opinion. It is still interesting to me to see what other people enjoy. I honestly might just go to the junkyard and see if I find anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you want tinny, I think any run of the mill glasspack, like a Walker lol, will do you proud. You’ve got a cat, which’ll suppress the sound some, and if you make sure to be mindful of not positioning the muffler right under the cab, I think you could make that work.
I finally got around to sawzalling the muffler off and drove it with open headers to the parts store to buy a thrush muffler. I made friends with one of the guy who works there and it was his last day so he helped me pick one out. I ended up with one of the thrush glasspacks. Only 24$. Originally i was going to get the thrush turbo but to make it easier we thought the longer length of the glasspack matched my old muffler better so I wouldnt need a pipe extension.

I still am not 100% sure I made the right choice. Can anyone explain the sound difference between the glasspack and the turbo/welded. I was going for a more imperfect, hollow, snap crackle pop type vintage sound. Gotta say I really enjoyed the no muffler sound, but obviously thats illegal and way too obnoxious for a daily. Are glasspacks more refined sounding? How does the thrush turbo sound compared the the thrush welded? Thanks guys!

Also would anyone happen to know the return policy at advance auto parts for mufflers. I doubt they'd take it back after I tried it out once right?

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Quoting an old post, but I agree with it. Sorta like asking 10 people what’s the best tasting beer. Possible 10 different answers. And exhaust video clips are misleading as well. I’ve heard cars in person and heard them on video. They usually sound totally different when compared. IMO, they sound better in person.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Quoting an old post, but I agree with it. Sorta like asking 10 people what’s the best tasting beer. Possible 10 different answers. And exhaust video clips are misleading as well. I’ve heard cars in person and heard them on video. They usually sound totally different when compared. IMO, they sound better in person.
I know its a taste thing so everyones answer will be different but I am looking for more of a description than an opinion. That way I can decide for myself. And yeah most youtube videos are not helpful because of either terrible mic quality, or different modded exhaust setups.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
in my world, displacement, compression and cam make more of a difference than muffler brands.
The more, the better!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My stock 350 with just a simple edelbrock(4 barrel) and stock manifolds goes down under the cab like normal, meets, and goes literally straight back after a tiny curve to where it shoots at the ground from next to the end of the gas tank(18 gallon saddle tank, driver side).
The thing has about 4 exhaust leaks(couple clamps, couple bad manifold gasket spots), a glasspack thats about 30 years old, and thats it.

It sounds.... good! Throaty.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I have to be louder than all the Honda’s around here. I was a bass head in my younger days so my hearing isn’t the greatest. 4’ of straight turned down sounds great to me. Lol
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I finally got around to sawzalling the muffler off and drove it with open headers to the parts store to buy a thrush muffler. I made friends with one of the guy who works there and it was his last day so he helped me pick one out. I ended up with one of the thrush glasspacks. Only 24$. Originally i was going to get the thrush turbo but to make it easier we thought the longer length of the glasspack matched my old muffler better so I wouldnt need a pipe extension.

I still am not 100% sure I made the right choice. Can anyone explain the sound difference between the glasspack and the turbo/welded. I was going for a more imperfect, hollow, snap crackle pop type vintage sound. Gotta say I really enjoyed the no muffler sound, but obviously thats illegal and way too obnoxious for a daily. Are glasspacks more refined sounding? How does the thrush turbo sound compared the the thrush welded? Thanks guys!

Also would anyone happen to know the return policy at advance auto parts for mufflers. I doubt they'd take it back after I tried it out once right?

A thrush turbo is just a normal packed muffler, it is essentially a cheap replacement for your typical stock muffler, very quiet and not at all cool sounding basically full of steel wool. They are pretty restrictive and will just sound like your stock muffler. I'm positive you wouldn't be happy with a turbo muffler.

The welded mufflers you're thinking of are chambered mufflers (thrush makes some too, they're much cheaper than flowmasters etc and still sound cool), that's what gives you the old school tinny growl/roar it seems like you're after. They have no packing inside of them but have a series of baffles and chambers, flowing the air through the little "maze" inside quiets it down and creates some cool sound effects at the same time.

A thrush glasspack (it's just a red tube looking thing right) isn't even technically a muffler, just a resonator. It's a straight shot through, with some packing around the outside all it does is kind of smooth out the rasp of a straight pipe and quiet it down some, but still very loud and raw sounding. It will make a sound similar to when you were driving around with no muffler, just a little quieter and less unruly. Also having a tailpipe instead of having it right under the cab will quiet it down some too. It's still a cool sound, give it a try for a while if you already got it.

I doubt any store would take back a used muffler. Unless you don't put any clamps or anything on it to mark it up, if you don't get it all dirty who's gonna know if you just hold it up there for a minute or two to see how it sounds. As long as they can't tell it was used they might take it back, but really it's only 24 bucks. I know you're young and don't have a lot of money trust me I remember that age all too well, but like I said if you already got it just run it. Try it out for a few months and if you don't like it you can always save up for a better muffler later.

long story short, glasspack will be louder and more raw sounding, more sputtering and popping that kind of stuff. A chambered welded muffler will give you that tinny pinging muscle car sound and will still make plenty of noise but not as much since it is actually a muffler and not just a straight pipe with a resonator. I have had both over the years, I much prefer chambered mufflers on V8s. My truck has a flowmaster 40 series on it and I think it sounds great

It's hard to find a video that does justice, microphones are not the same as the human ear, but this one's pretty decent out of the few I went through. Cherry bombs are glasspacks (they're even red, basically the exact same thing as your thrush just more expensive) and the flowmaster super 44 is a shorter case chambered muffler

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If I recall and based on the fact you only bought 1 muffler I can assume you have a single exhaust. Glass packs due sound good at first, but will blow out over time. My first car was a 64 Chevelle with a 283 V8. I was in high school and added a dual exhaust system. Sounded great and was inexpensive.

I've probably 30 or more exhaust systems done over the years, glass pack, turbo mufflers, Flowmasters, etc. I had some cheap $25 turbos on my current truck after I had the new engine installed before I couldn't stand the OEM stock mufflers. I really didn't like the sound. Kind of hollow even though it ended at the rear axle. I switched back to Flowmaster Super 40's cause I like the sound and they have a larger case than the standard 40's.

Opinions are like ********, everyone has one. I just like the sound of Flowmasters. Summit Racing makes some knock off for about $25-30. Here's my truck with the Flowmasters and a fully smogged 454, dual to the rear bumper and a cross over. Sorry I filmed it with an old iPhone.

@thecantaloupeman If you are interested, I'll send you the turbo mufflers for free. They're brand new and only have about 200-300 miles on them. I remember being young. Here's a link to them. Just PM your info.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17615

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
You'll like the glasspack

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Glass pack is more crackling and popping than the turbo. It will like said just sound like a factory one, a little louder and deeper.

I have the original two chamber flowmaster 40s. There the loudest ones besides the single chamber 10 series. There like 8 different series mufflers they make. They have a video of them all but sounds are so hard to hear on a video and each engine and pipe combination changes the sound as well .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8