1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sounding squarebody mufflers?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by thecantaloupeman, Sep 7, 2019.

1. ethom

ethom Junior Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    I run the longer Magnaflows, true dual w/o a crossover pipe currently. THe wall thickness of the tube is crazy at about a 1/16" or so from memory. I like the quiet thumping with a little roar once i get on it or stress the engine a bit locking up the converter. I can cruise at any speed even the interstate at 80 with no drone noise issues. You may not hear me if your radio is turned up at a stop light but with the hammer down she thumps a little and it gets noisy in the cab for a few seconds.

Aside from having less packing in the muffler and no cat, tinnier noise will also come from thinner walled tubes especially stainless and bigger diameter tubing. Also having more rigidly mounted exhaust w/o rubber isolators or fewer isolators will help. Admittedly I would do none of these things on my own vehicle because I don't care for the tinny popping. THe more hollow sounding a muffler sounds when you knock on it the more tin you'll get out of it.

2. Richard Schultz

Richard Schultz Junior Member

First Name:
    richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k10
    Engine Size:
    Straight pipes

3. MikeB

MikeB Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    It's certainly a personal preference, but I like Walker Dynomax Turbos with the long 20" case in a 2-1/4" system. Nice rumble but not too loud. Also, less restriction than other so-called performance mufflers. Probably a little louder in a 2-1/2" system, but I'd bet it wouldn't be too loud.

My son's 69 has 14" Magnaflows that sound really nice at idle and cruising speeds, but they are really loud under even moderate acceleration.

*** Hey, those Porters sound cool! Very old skool.

4. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    See, this is why muffler threads don't work. Its 100% opinion. I don't think Magnaflows are loud under acceleration at all. Even with headers, 2.5 duals and no cats. Yeah they are louder than at idle, but not loud.

With mufflers, you just have to pick something and try it for yourself.

5. thecantaloupeman

thecantaloupeman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Silverado Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    Yeah I think I've definitely learned a bit from this thread, but yeah it is mostly opinion. It is still interesting to me to see what other people enjoy. I honestly might just go to the junkyard and see if I find anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk