New Guy with the wife's Burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome from NE Georgia
You must be registered for see images attach

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the warm welcome, and good to see a lot of local-ish folks. :)

First chance to get a helper AND daylight at the same time..... just checked, and the rag joint is solid as can be. No slop whatsoever in the steering shaft. Drag link.... kind of another story. I can grab the adjuster sleeve and it turns on one end. Pretty rusty, and the joints are a tad loose/turn easily, so I'll just replace that when I swap out the high steer arm.

What DID look out of sorts though.... the steering box. As the Mrs was turning the wheel back and forth, I could see the shaft (that the pitman arm is on) slide up going one direction, and then pop down when turning back the other way. :( Previous owners supposedly replaced it, though obviously not real recently. Guessing a "reman'd" unit, where they stuffed new seals in with worn out guts, and just sent it? Or maybe someone tried to adjust it and now it's totally shot. Blah. Well.... that's on the short list now. Off to shop for a (hopefully) decent replacement.

I won't be surprised if I find a worn ball joint, but hopefully that's the bulk of the issue. Fits with the wife's description of how it feels. Hold a little wheel pressure left, and it runs straight. Let the wheel move to the right a bit, and off the truck goes in that direction until you coax it back. Doesn't do the same to the left.

Other than me only fixing the "not fun"/non-cosmetic things and ignoring her wish list of the Dually conversion, big mean bumpers, shiny things..... the Mrs LOVES her new Beastie. :) She said it's been a while since she drove something she LOVED. "Big, Loud, Nasty" and she loves it. lol Makes dirty hands and busted knuckles worth it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome to the forum from N. Texas!

Nice looking late model Burb!.

If you decide to go ahead with DW's desire for a dually, I've got the adapters you need to mount the wheels. Cost is reasonable: FREE if you want to pay shipping. They are still on my '83 GMC crew cab. Also 3 free dually wheels, but I figure the freight would be excessive. Hopefully you can find a set of wheels locally for less than the cost of shipping these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly