New Guy with the wife's Burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The wife had a hankering for something "beastly". With three kids, coaching one kids soccer team.....well, a Suburban is kinda THE thing. (She threatens divorce when minivans are mentioned). She had a newer Burb ('04) that she HATED..... but she seems in love with this new beast, but then she hasn't really lived with it yet. lol

Drove it home last weekend. First square body for me. I've owned older and newer GM trucks, but never a square body. 1989 V2500, 5.7/400/241, 4in lift. Overall pretty straight with very little rust. Interior is pretty darn clean, minus the front door panels being a bit beat up, and the missing headliner. Some teenagers have been driving it for a couple years, so I have some work to do. :( Supposedly the engine was replaced with a Summit long block some years ago, I have receipts for the TH400 being rebuilt, and the steering box was replaced. Steering feels a bit light/twitchy/likes to wander though.... although better now that the tie rod is straight. lol

Froze my butt off yesterday swapping the taco'd tie rod and adjusting some doors/fixing strikers so they shut right. New master/booster sitting in the garage, since they suspicious paint on the one in the truck sure did turn out to be a leaking master. Has rusty Hedman headers on it, with what sounds like a WICKED exhaust leak. Hole in one muffler (true duals, home brew, the mount that was welded to the muffler ripped a hole out of it), but the tick sounds like it's closer to the front. Kinda dreading pulling the headers.... but we'll see. One of the rear seatbelts has a restractor that doesn't retract the shoulder belt, but the lap portion works fine. Temp gauge is mostly inop? WAS stuck around 150*, even with the truck off, though this morning I noticed it started out bottomed and then slowly rose to around 125*. Curious. Still has that load sensing brake valve inline in the back, which I'm gonna bypass..... once I figure out how I wanna do that. With the dual exhaust, one pipe is RIGHT there where I'd put the adjusted line.

Overall.... just hoping to get it reasonably safe and solid, since the wife wants to bomb around town in it. THEN.... now that she knows it IS a thing, she's wanting to do a dually conversion to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Steering feels a bit light/twitchy/likes to wander though....
Check the rag joint, drag link, ball joints and steering component angles due to the lift.
Still has that load sensing brake valve inline in the back
Just bypass it by hooking the soft line from the axle directly to the hardline before the load sensing valve.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Check the rag joint, drag link, ball joints and steering component angles due to the lift.

Just bypass it by hooking the soft line from the axle directly to the hardline before the load sensing valve.
Haven't dived into the steering shaft yet, beyond just looking at it.... rag joint LOOKED ok, but I'll have to dig more. The drag link has a bit of an angle to it. Not much, but I'd say its an inch lower in the back than it is at the pitman arm. Looks like a Rough Country high steer arm on the knuckle (Rough Country lift I think, at least the shocks are), but I have a Superlift arm that looks to be a tad taller.... should level out the drag link? All the joints seem to be tight, but I'll probably replace the drag link when I have it off to do the steering arm.

Bypassing that valve won't be quite THAT easy. Was eyeballing it earlier. I'd need a longer soft line to reach the hard lines, even flipping the block on the axle, if I just did the usual remove and direct connect. That won't really work either though, because with the dual exhaust, the pipe is RIGHT there. Too close for comfort. I'll probably just leave the lines in place as they are and tie them together after removing the valve. Might redo that later.... since I'm looking at replacing the exhaust anyways. One piece at a time....

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Bypassing that valve won't be quite THAT easy. Was eyeballing it earlier. I'd need a longer soft line to reach the hard lines, even flipping the block on the axle, if I just did the usual remove and direct connect.
Yes, you’ll definitely need a longer line. I picked one up from Napa when I bypassed mine. Since then, I bought the SS braided Crown lines from ORD for everything.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I’m gonna look at that. If my new rear flex line is long enough…
Been wanting to bypass this one as well. With the big heavy tires, it can handle full rear brakes pretty well even when empty. And stops amazingly with all the juice.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome! And nice mommy missile!
Great way to combat the onslaught of Priuses, Teslas and minivans at the coffee stands and school drop offs!

And old squarebody burbs are such a good value around here…

And the paint looks original too. A real bonus knowing what you have wasn’t covered up or prepped improperly for a repaint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito