Best sounding squarebody mufflers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So my muffler has one pretty big rust hole and sounds like trash. I could patch it up and call it a day, but wheres the fun in that? I'm curious to see what sound other people like on their squares.

I have stock manifolds atm. If I end up buying anything I'd prefer something quieter that isn't obnoxious, but still sounds good from a small distance.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep.

There is no "best" muffler. Its all personal taste.
That's what I'm asking. I want to know what other people like the sound of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
At the bare minimum, it depends on if you want a stock, off-stock, louder, or loudest exhaust note. It also depends on the vehicle. I’ve got a Walker stock replacement muffler because it’s a non-performance daily, and it’s actually a nice, off-stock sounding muffler.

The exhaust that I want for my Jimmy is a Porter glasspack. It’s a niche muffler; a relatively small number of people have them. I don’t think you can go wrong with a cheap glasspack either. My distant third place might be a Flowmaster 50 Series. I’m not really a Flowmaster or Magnaflow fan, but a lot of people love them.

Last edited:

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
At the bare minimum, it depends on if you want a stock, off-stock, louder, or loudest exhaust note. It also depends on the vehicle. I’ve got a Walker stock replacement muffler because it’s a non-performance daily, and it’s actually a nice, off-stock sounding muffler.

The exhaust that I want for my Jimmy is a Walker glasspack. It’s a niche muffler; a relatively small number of people have them. I don’t think you can go wrong with a cheap glasspack either. My distant third place might be a Flowmaster 50 Series. I’m not really a Flowmaster or Magnaflow fan, but a lot of people love them.
Well what I'm going for is more of a tinny old sound rather than modern v8 sound. Like a little more rough around the edges sortof sound but not too loud either. I daily it so I don't want it to be too flashy or noisy or attention grabbing. I just want something a tiny bit louder and that sounds cooler. My truck is pretty much all stock. Does the walker exhaust sound basically like stock?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well what I'm going for is more of a tinny old sound rather than modern v8 sound. Like a little more rough around the edges sortof sound but not too loud either. I daily it so I don't want it to be too flashy or noisy or attention grabbing. I just want something a tiny bit louder and that sounds cooler. My truck is pretty much all stock. Does the walker exhaust sound basically like stock?

Whoa, sorry. I meant Porter, not Walker. Walker’s the cheapie parts store glasspack. Porter doesn’t sound stock at all. It’s very old-timey and rumbly sounding to me. More bass and less tin than a conventional glasspack. Check it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you want tinny, I think any run of the mill glasspack, like a Walker lol, will do you proud. You’ve got a cat, which’ll suppress the sound some, and if you make sure to be mindful of not positioning the muffler right under the cab, I think you could make that work.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Whoa, sorry. I meant Porter, not Walker. Walker’s the cheapie parts store glasspack. Porter doesn’t sound stock at all. It’s very old-timey and rumbly sounding to me. More bass and less tin than a conventional glasspack. Check it:

Mmmm i like that!!

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those porters sound beautiful! A big bonus to buying them is they are manufactured in Maple Grove, MN, not overseas.

Imo If you want tinny, flowmaster is your brand to look into. A lot of the videos of squares with them sounds a bit like hail hitting a tin shed imo. Some models certainly sound better than others, and on some vehicles. Personally a street racing c10 should have a different sound than a outdoorsman's k10.

I prefer that deeper rumble like those porters. IMO, borla S-type, gives a similar sound.

Magnaflow sound is kinda between borla and flowmaster.

But it's not my truck. Lots of videos on YouTube with muffler comparison. But the Porters, man that's the sound.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

Sounds a lot like my Borla proXS.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sounds a lot like my Borla proXS.

Do you have an audio clip of yours? I YouTubed some, and they have somewhat more of a turbo sound than the Porters for what I was able to pull up. To me, the Porters have a hybridized sound between a chambered muffler and a glasspack.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mmmm i like that!!
I do too. I'm gonna go have a look at them. I've never even heard of them but it's awesome they are made in america.

EDIT: I just had a look and boy are they sexy too! I love the color, and the logo is really cool too.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Do you have an audio clip of yours? I YouTubed some, and they have somewhat more of a turbo sound than the Porters for what I was able to pull up. To me, the Porters have a hybridized sound between a chambered muffler and a glasspack.
I’ll have to record one and upload it to YouTube when I get home.

I think the way that guy did it with a solid wall on one side helps. Usually when I hear a recording online, it doesn’t sound quite right.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
That Porter sounds dope, added that to my list of eventual mods

Latest posts

Forum statistics