Best fuel pump (TBI)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Who makes the best fuel pump for our fuel injected trucks?
I'd like to get the best one possible so I never have to worry about it.
Is AC Delco still good? I've tried to always go with ac delco in the past until someone told me that a few years ago they sold out and now the parts are mostly made in china and are not the same quality parts they used to be.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Walbro. Been running their 190 for five years. Flawless.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would find the specific part numbers for your options and see if you can find reviews. I buy AC Delco, but yeah, their parts are predominantly manufactured in China or Mexico. I bought a Delphi pump the other day that was made in South Korea. It's not likely that you'll find anything made in this country for most parts so that's not really a factor anymore. I would still go with AC Delco for better quality control reasons and what not. Delphi a close second.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Good to know. I stand corrected.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks for the tip - Walbro looks like good stuff (and yes, made in USA).
Looks like they just sell the pump, so I'll have to get everything else too that goes along with it.
Most sending units look like they come with everything else I'd need, and maybe I have to get a strainer too.
Anything else I should know (i've never done this before).
Thanks!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It's easier than you think. I did this without any prior experience and it's very straightforward, just take your time. Oh, and I didn't have to buy anything extra. In fact, I didn't need a lot of the bits that came with the pump kit.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745

Last edited:

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Great writeup! I have bookmarked and will reference when I go to tackle this job - I have a 40gal 'burb and hitch as well, so this looks like it was written just for me!

The walbro website shows just the pump and some other small parts:
You must be registered for see images attach

PN: 5CA401

This is just the stock replacement pump I believe. My stock small block has 195 hp (purportedly) so I don't need a heavy duty pump like you did for your application.
I'd like to replace everything I can while I'm in there, especially a new sending unit (my guage is not that accurate).

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Plus, this will give me a chance to see who's been living (dead or alive) above my tank and in my frame rails:

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hmmm...looks like pack rats....and they do taste like chicken.

I had to drop both of my tanks a week apart. Turns out the drivers side tank had the original, ac delco pump circa 1985. The screen element broke down and was ingested into the pump...r.i.p.
The warranty will usually only cover the pump IF you also install the new screen filter on the unit. The screen filters are like $5, well worth replacing imo.

Obviously, an empty tank is alot easier to remove then one that has a ton of fuel in it. I used a hand pump, bulb primed siphon tube. Its slow, but safer than using an electric pump that can spark at the worst possible moment (Eyebrows take a long time to grow back).

Another item to check when the pump and sending unit are removed ......check inside the tank. You will be suprised how much garbage can collect over the millenia. It's a pita...but well worth it to flush out the tank when the sending unit and pump are out. Most kits come with two different sizes of rubber seals for the locking ring. Use the one that is closest to the diamter of the old oem one. Be sure to also clean off the top of the tank, especially at the locking ring BEFORE removing it. I used a brass hammer and a wooden dowel to tap the locking ring loose. Sparks+fuel vapor= bang!!!! Always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher close by, just in case.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd imagine the Walbro is good too, being they've always been known for good quality products. So you can add that one, but I've always been told stick with the AC Delco or Delphi OEM pumps.

I know for sure what you normally get at the big discount auto part stores with names like Airtex and such, they don't last long at all.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you go with Walbro be sure to buy from a trusted source. Lots of fakes out there, enough that Walbro mentions it on their website. Resist that good deal on eBay unless the seller is Summit or the equivalent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31