Best Door Hinge Lubricant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Spray can of white lithium grease, liquid wrench brand, I believe.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Gun cleaning and gun lube products work really well for locks and hinges, and it lasts. I have a client that has a really expensive front door lock set, after 15 years in the house the lock started sticking and was hard to press down with your thumb to open the door. He called a lock smith to repair it, guy came out and told the owner he could only replace it.

I told the owner I would give it a try, I pulled the mechanism out of the door and rinsed the metallic mud and old lube out of the lock, lubed it back up and put it back together, still works perfect more than 10 years later. Gun lube rocks. lol

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Am I really the only one who uses white lithium grease? Lol I always thought that's what everyone did. It sticks around a good long while, doesn't drip, doesn't stink, etc. Good stuff. I lubricate my garage door rollers with the stuff too.

Also FWIW, when the rollers on my rear window regulator for the 'burb quit, I just replaced them with carrige bolts. They don't roll one bit, but I sprayed a metric fcukton of white lithium grease in there and they haven't worn through the tracks yet. I crack open the gate and reapply heavily about once a year, works like a charm, minimal wear observed. And that's just metal sliding along metal, not a bushing type scenario like a door hinge.

Edit: Oh I didn't see page 2. Looks like 85K304SPD beat me to it...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think that if the hinges themselves are squeaking (not the spring) then pins and bushings are probably the only long term solution. But what I like to use as a periodical treatment (I do it every time I change the oil) is WD-40 Silicone. WD-40 Silicone is generally found at hardware stores and harbor freight but not at auto part stores for some reason. This is not regular WD-40.

For those that haven't seen it:
You must be registered for see images

For whatever reason it seems to work better, and penitrate better than other brands (like PB). When I hit my hinge pins, I also do the hood hinges, the tailgate hinges and latch. My tailgate closes super easy BTW, good alignment and this is part of it. Also I treat my door seals with it. spray it right on the seal and spread it along the seal with my finger. If you have never done this the rubber will likely that a couple rounds. Besides being good for the rubber it'll keep it from freezing to the door. So that's what I do.

@RecklessWOT I don't use white lithium grease on anything. IDK I never had much luck with it personally, but I know other guys that like it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Another good one is CRC-556

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never had good luck with white lithium grease either.

I finally discovered Fluid Film several years ago. It makes a fantastic lube that lasts a while and I'm still discovering excellent uses for it. I've found out that it penetrates very well too, even the super tight clearance joints of pliers.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I finally discovered Fluid Film several years ago. It makes a fantastic lube that lasts a while and I'm still discovering excellent uses for it. I've found out that it penetrates very well too, even the super tight clearance joints of pliers.
it also works well for a undercoat protection for the awful beet juice that Ohio coats the roads with!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
it also works well for a undercoat protection for the awful beet juice that Ohio coats the roads with!!

Yep! It's also the only thing I've found that keeps the rear-mount vice on my work truck from rusting.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI

I think white lithium grease comes in different qualities, I have had stuff that gets hard and chalky in less than a month and stuff that lasts.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think white lithium grease comes in different qualities, I have had stuff that gets hard and chalky in less than a month and stuff that lasts.
I could believe that. That has been my trouble. For example when I have sprayed down the door hinges on my Dodge and tend to make a mess with the stuff in general, and a short time making noise. Then the over spray starts collect dirt and crack. With silicone, at least the WD-40 silicone it lasts much longer. Could well be the brand of lithium, I wonder if you could recommend a brand, I might order some for the guys to try at the shop.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used SiliKroil once on the hinges and bushing/cam setup. That was it; lasted years.
Also works really well on hood hinges.
SiliKroil is a penetrant like WD-40, but carries a lubricant with it, which WD-40 does not.
It'll even walk uphill in a pin hinge setup like the door hinges.
Also works great on doors in the house.
You just need a little bit of it. No need to overdo it and make a mess. It will crawl anywhere.
You can get it at Amazon.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
I use pure 90W oil on ALL my door hinge components. I have a 1994 Chevy Suburban Silverado with 321,000 miles on it and I just FINALLY decided to change the drivers door hinge pins and bushings.....not that they were worn out but just a little too much movement for me. After ALL these years, yes, I have owned it since 1995, I ALWAYS lube the hinges and every component in the hinge area EVERY TIME I changed the engine oil. I would wait until the next day after applying the lube and wipe off the excess so it wouldn't drip on the rubber "wire covering" boots OR the lower body panels. Anyhow, the replacement hinge pins would NOT clear the serrated area and I was afraid of hammering the hinge so much I would bend it down so I reused the original pins, and it worked. I made a puller to pull in the new bushings instead of hammering them in (I did crack one of the new bushings with the hammer method) so I need to figure out a way to pull in the new hinge pins without hammering on them. Off to my next tool design...................

leeb

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for that suggestion too.
I have to confess I've never heard of Fluid Film before now. But I have heard of lanolin-based products for firearms.
good stuff, guns, auto, etc

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yes it does come in different qualities, but the best of it still pales in comparison to my experiences with Fluid Film.

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
3 in 1 window and door track lubricant sprays wet and dries quickly I use it on just about everything I want to stay lubed doors, hood hinges and also works well on gun magazines doesn’t attract dirt and dust and has nozzle attached it’ll set you back 10.00 bucks on Am zon just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag